Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mgcl2 for grass tetany prevention

Options
  • 01-10-2020 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

Moving cows with 6month old calves to lush enough grass in the next few days

With the weather the way it us, grass condition & age of the calves i want to prevent tetany

They will have access to silage & hi mag buckets(not a fan of)

I have purchases magnesium chloride flakes to add to water which they will access thru an ibc tank

Just wondering has anyone used this before in this way and if so in what rate

I'm thinking of 100g/hd dissolved first and then add to 1000ltr water

Too much can scour them i think)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

{They will have access to silage & hi mag buckets(not a fan of)}

Hay would be better as it slows down the movement of grass through the digestive process thereby aiding the absorption of mag.

We use the Dairygold buckets, they wont touch any other brand. Dairygold is probably sweetened with molasses which is a vegetable source of Iron as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Dunedin

With silage and hi mag buckets you’ll be grand and wouldn’t think they’d need anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

not saying this is the right way but tis my way

dissolve a bag of flakes in a barrel of 100 liters of water
    at 25 kg per bag this gives you a concentrate of 250g per liter
    preload a 600 liter water trough with half a used mineral bucket of concentrate and add 1.5 to 2 liters of concentrate every second day, judge your mix by the cows dung ,if they get real loose and the dung pats get real shiny back off a bit.
    this is for a bunch of 25 cows and feb/march born calves
    i do put out hi-mag buckets in wet weather because cows dont drink as much
    i know this is barnyard chemistry but its working for me , and if someone wants to contradict this post with a more accurate process , all the better .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭50HX

Thanks for that that oneten

Will give that a go and monitor the dung as well

Advertisement