Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.0 Litre VW Toureg as an Agricultural jeep

Options
  • 01-10-2020 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Is anyone using VW Toureg as a farming jeep. I am looking for a crew cabbed jeep at the minute. Ideally I'd love a Pajero but they're very hard to find in my price range (around 10k) that are not wrecked.

I have seen a few Touregs coming up that look ok. I'd go for the 3 litre V6 if I was getting one at all. Anyone know what they're like to tow? Also, what they're like on higher ground? Also, how tough are they.... would they stand up to a bit of abuse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

A simple answer is no. They are made to the standard of a car, not a commercial vehicle. Very poor off road ability, heavy on fuel and quite unreliable. They are cheap second hand for a reason. We had a 2007 one back in 2009/10 and we couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Everytime something went wrong the bills from the dealer were astronomical. It has plenty of power to tow alright but they arent a commercial grade vehicle. You would be much better off with an older Landcruiser or a pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Capra wrote: »
    A simple answer is no. They are made to the standard of a car, not a commercial vehicle. Very poor off road ability, heavy on fuel and quite unreliable. They are cheap second hand for a reason. We had a 2007 one back in 2009/10 and we couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Everytime something went wrong the bills from the dealer were astronomical. It has plenty of power to tow alright but they arent a commercial grade vehicle. You would be much better off with an older Landcruiser or a pickup.

Thanks. Heavy on fuel wouldn't really worry me as mileage wouldn't be high.

But my main worry would be are they essentially built tough enough for light farm work and your experience above seems to have been No.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Know two lads had them for as you say “light agricultural work”

Expensive, unreliable and impossibly expensive to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭cjpm

Vet had one. A ball of shít he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

What's the vw amaroks like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

BnB wrote: »
    Is anyone using VW Toureg as a farming jeep. I am looking for a crew cabbed jeep at the minute. Ideally I'd love a Pajero but they're very hard to find in my price range (around 10k) that are not wrecked.

I have seen a few Touregs coming up that look ok. I'd go for the 3 litre V6 if I was getting one at all. Anyone know what they're like to tow? Also, what they're like on higher ground? Also, how tough are they.... would they stand up to a bit of abuse?

I’ve used a 2.5 Touareg as a farm jeep and car for a good few years.
    I’d agree with the broad thrust of the previous replies, but they’re not as bad as portrayed and I think actually have a very good 4wd system when fitted with the correct tyres.
    Repair bills can be eye watering, but a lot depends on your mechanic. I recently found a new guy who is much more reasonable than the guy I’ve used for the past 14 years and knows Touaregs much better too.
    Faults I have experienced in 115,000 miles:

Door locks
    Prop shaft carrier bearing (twice)
    Parking sensors (At least one fails each year)
    Air conditioning pump (didn’t replace, just removed)
    Wiring loom for drivers airbag
    Starter (age related)
    Various age-related bushings and suspension bits
    Battery lead
    ABS sensors

Personally, I like the Touareg, but it’s a bit love/hate at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

I’d agree with the broad thrust of the previous replies, but they’re not as bad as portrayed and I think actually have a very good 4wd system when fitted with the correct tyres.
    Repair bills can be eye watering, but a lot depends on your mechanic. I recently found a new guy who is much more reasonable than the guy I’ve used for the past 14 years and knows Touaregs much better too.

Door locks
    Starter (age related)
    Battery lead
    ABS sensors

Jasus, that's not good.
    I've an X5. Drive the living ****e out of it. 1st week I had in November I drove across a field up to d sump in ****e and kept going.
    190k miles on d clock. Only issue was 1drive button went after spilling a bottle of coke.
    I changes d gearbox oil I think it cost a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

As above a Crewcabbed x5 with the older 3.0 m57 diesel engine would be a better shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Door locks
    Starter (age related)
    Battery lead
    ABS sensors

Shocking to see some of the stuff on that list for 115k miles. I know not all miles are equal, but still for the money they seem to lack the ruggedness you’d expect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

_Brian wrote: »
    Shocking to see some of the stuff on that list for 115k miles. I know not all miles are equal, but still for the money they seem to lack the ruggedness you’d expect.

Nick name toe rag seems to be well deserved. If you really wanted a vw would a 4wd crew cab van with 5 cylinder engine be an option?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

_Brian wrote: »

Sorry, I think I've explained badly.
    I put up 115K miles, but it had 125K on it when I bought it, so the list above happened between 125K and 240K miles.

Mostly fast driving on bad roads, but always serviced on the button.

adne wrote: »
    What's the vw amaroks like

OP here and it is actually an Amarok that I have at the minute that I am looking for get rid of.

I had a 06 Auto Pajero that I loved. It had loads of power, great for towing and so easy to drive. It started to give trouble (intermittently not starting) during the worst of the lockdown (April/May) and I ended up changing it in a hurry. I would have got another Pajero in a heartbeat but one just didn't come up close to me and I ended up buying the Amarok in a rush.

To be fair to it, there is very little wrong with the Amarok. There is great power in it. The fact that they only have a 2 litre engine can be very off putting to some farmers but there is a twin turbo in it that really delivers. Also, it is a much nicer drive on the main road than the Pajero - It feels less agricultural.

But it just hasn't grown on me. The main thing I don't like about it is the gears - I feel it is geared very much for the road. First gear and reverse are quite high and I feel I'm always riding the clutch tipping around the yard, especially with the trailer on. Also, my last jeep was an auto and this is a manual. I reckon, once you've used an Auto for towing, you'll never go back - it's so handy.

The other thing I don't like about it is that it feels feckin' massive, especially around the yard. But that's probably true for all proper crew cabs. But I found the Pajero much neater and easier to tip around. If I didn't need back seats, it would be a short-wheel base Pajero or Landcruiser I'd be getting for sure.

As above a Crewcabbed x5 with the older 3.0 m57 diesel engine would be a better shout.

Hi. Is that the First generation X5 (E53 Up to 2006) or the 2nd Generation (E70 06 to 13) ?

I have seen a good few Crewcabbed X5's pop up on Donedeal for not too mad money, but my fear with them was always that if something did go wrong, they would be mad money to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

BnB wrote: »
    Hi. Is that the First generation X5 (E53 Up to 2006) or the 2nd Generation (E70 06 to 13) ?

I have seen a good few Crewcabbed X5's pop up on Donedeal for not too mad money, but my fear with them was always that if something did go wrong, they would be mad money to fix.

The e70 still has the m57 up to 2010 so I'd be aiming for a 09 or 10 one.

Advertisement