Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing broken immergas gas boiler

Options
  • 01-10-2020 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

we live in a house that has a immergas zeus mini gas boiler.

this thing just broke. a plumber figured that the PCB is done and is trying to order a replacement for it... which may take some time to arrive.

he said, that ultimately, we should look at getting this "piece of crap" (his words, not mine) replaced. which could cost up to 5000 euros.

reason, he says, is that they will have to put a new flue, and they will have to replace the gas pipe as the immergas uses smaller pipes that dont work with makes/models they would install today. and for the pipes, they will have to lift the floorboards etc.

its getting colder.... so i would like to get over this **** ASAP.

what to do? i saw that www.gasworks.ie says they do a free pipe upgrade as well... should i get a quote from them? are they a reputable company?

Comments

murfilein wrote: »
    we live in a house that has a immergas zeus mini gas boiler.

this thing just broke. a plumber figured that the PCB is done and is trying to order a replacement for it... which may take some time to arrive.

he said, that ultimately, we should look at getting this "piece of crap" (his words, not mine) replaced. which could cost up to 5000 euros.

reason, he says, is that they will have to put a new flue, and they will have to replace the gas pipe as the immergas uses smaller pipes that dont work with makes/models they would install today. and for the pipes, they will have to lift the floorboards etc.

its getting colder.... so i would like to get over this **** ASAP.

what to do? i saw that www.gasworks.ie says they do a free pipe upgrade as well... should i get a quote from them? are they a reputable company?

I’d get a few quotes

If it’s a twin flue system then a new flue set up can be expensive, your gas pipe size requirement is determined by the kw output of the boiler you may find if you wire your boiler for hot water priority (if it’s a system boiler) you can fit a boiler with a smaller output as heating and hot water are demanded at the same time, most of the installations I see the boiler is over sized anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

gary71 wrote: »
    I’d get a few quotes

If it’s a twin flue system then a new flue set up can be expensive, your gas pipe size requirement is determined by the kw output of the boiler you may find if you wire your boiler for hot water priority (if it’s a system boiler) you can fit a boiler with a smaller output as heating and hot water are demanded at the same time, most of the installations I see the boiler is over sized anyway.

late reply, sorry for that.

so, i got a few more quotes, all of them came out at around the same rate, 4000-5000 euros.

the reason they say for the pipes (all them say it needs to be done) is that modern boilers work differents than old boilers. new boiler apparently mix gas with air, while old ones do not. when old ones get less gas than they need, they will just run slower/produce less heat, while new ones will just not work when they dont have enough gas.

whatever, the guy who came around figured that the motherboard of out boiler was done. he ordered it, put it in and now its working again. happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It's rather simple to get a PCB for them. Just saying.

Rvr in Kerry. 2 or 3 days to get.

Advertisement