Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pellets?

• 30-09-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a pallet of good quality wood pellets in 10kg bags. Where am I going to get the best value?

Been using Hayes Woodgems.

There two types of Balcast pellets, one bag green one blue. The green one I found very dusty. Haven't tried the blue Balcast Energy one.

I was told Laois Sawmills do a good pellet but they are collection only.

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Went with Laois Sawmills in the end. Very good pellet. A lot less ash then other brands. Bought a pallet but more expensive than other brands. Only 15kg banks, my stove takes 10kg but that's not really a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robm360

Went with Laois Sawmills in the end. Very good pellet. A lot less ash then other brands. Bought a pallet but more expensive than other brands. Only 15kg banks, my stove takes 10kg but that's not really a problem.

Do you know how much they do tonne bags loose collected? Looking into changing to wood pellets and they are not that far from home to collect from.

robm360 wrote: »
    Do you know how much they do tonne bags loose collected? Looking into changing to wood pellets and they are not that far from home to collect from.

https://www.laoissawmills.com/products-page/fuels-online-shop/wood-pellets-1-2-tonne-bags/

What would your average usage be on a daily basis?

I wood estimate about 1no. 15kg bag last 2.5days running about 4-5hrs per day at this time of the year. Not far off €2.50/day to heat 45sq.m of an 112sq.m house. The house is well insulated so we might/might not turn on the rads for an hour to heat the rest of the house if it is particularly cold.

• Advertisement

What would your average usage be on a daily basis?

What did you go for in the end?

What did you go for in the end?

Haven’t changed as of yet, have a solid fuel stove which I will more than likely change out for a wood pellet stove in the near future. Just weighing up my options really.
    Seems the only way forward is wood pellet.
    Would be the only realistic option swapping my old stove for wood pellet.
    Looked into air to water systems and they are crazy money,when you take into account you may need to change out rads, upgrade insulation etc.

Haven’t changed as of yet, have a solid fuel stove which I will more than likely change out for a wood pellet stove in the near future. Just weighing up my options really.
    Looked into air to water systems and they are crazy money,when you take into account you may need to change out rads, upgrade insulation etc.

I installed solar pv at the beginning of January this year, awaiting the new BER result. E1 when we bought the house early last year. Currently C1 after improvements (before Solar PV).

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

Why would you swap a solid fuel stove for a wood pellet stove if you don't mind me asking? Is the wood pellet stove more efficient?

I don't know anything about these things by the way except we have a multi fuel stove in the house.

JPup wrote: »
    Why would you swap a solid fuel stove for a wood pellet stove if you don't mind me asking? Is the wood pellet stove more efficient?

I don't know anything about these things by the way except we have a multi fuel stove in the house.

When we bought our house the central heating was from a 20yr old oil fuelled range boiler. Changed to external oil boiler with a much higher efficiency. Removed open fire and replaced with pellet stove (much more efficient than open fire). For me the pellet stove is a secondary heat source. I terms of a room heater a pellet stove has a much higher efficiency than an open fire.

• Advertisement

JPup wrote: »

I source my fuel (turf)from a local bog,
    whilst turf is great to burn and from a cost point of view inexpensive (if you do all the work).
    I don’t see many years left with this fuel,
    So I will need to change at some point in the near future.
    Looking at my options I will need to switch to either an air to water system or a wood pellet stove.

The wood pellet stove makes more financial sense to me as it doesn’t require upgrades to my current house or heating system that an air to water system needs in order for it to function efficiently.

I’m sorry I know this doesn’t answer your question but it’s my reasons to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 flugh

This does not answer any of the questions but - I've just changed my 15 year old Baxi boiler over from wood chip to pellets. After a bit of maintenance I'm burning 200kg of Balcas Energy pellets before I order a bulk load maybe 5 T plus. The 10kg Balcas bags are from the local coop at 3.01 a bag less my 5% discount. By comparison to the wood chip, the pellets are so clean and much easier on the auger/boiler. We have our own wood thinnings but I want the house heating system running with less trouble and maintenance as I wont be living here shortly. I see from their website that the Balcas bulk price starts at €237/T but I'll have another look around. I'm in north Donegal.

I have been using laois wood products petels for my pellet stove. Great pellets imo. I think that they do bulk as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭crinkley

For those who don't have the storage for buying in bulk like myself, Homestore are doing buy 1 get 1 free on 10kg bags

Advertisement