Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could go back in time and stop Covid from happening would you?

Options
  • 30-09-2020 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

As in, you crank up the DeLorean go back to that guano infested wet market in Wuhan and stop the first transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from pangolin to peasant, or whatever, would you?
    Personally I would have to say no. And I don’t meant to be cruel and indifferent to the suffering and deaths of over a million people but the upside to the pandemic has been quite incredible. The reduction in pollution, the knock-on effect of reducing other far more lethal viral infections (such as AIDS) because of lockdowns, the fact that people in their normally tourist drenched cities can enjoy their cities again, the fact that captive endangered species can now mate (I’m thinking of you, pandas), decreasing carbon footprint, lack of soul crushing daily commute, cleaner air (which when it wasn’t so clean was responsible for many millions of excess deaths across the world), actually hearing nature, whales not having their oceans completely noise polluted by passing cargo ships... I think we stand to gain rather than to lose from Coronavirus. Mother Nature got pissed off with us humans and his struck back...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes, but I'd also use it to win the lotto and move away from the rest of you, to my own private lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

If I could go back even further, I'd stop people from happening!

This little blue planet would do just fine all by it's lonesome, with one less species of monkey around that likes to kill and destroy everything it touches!

Humans are the real disease! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

In before the lockdown...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

I'd bring them back the cure - bleach and light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Spore wrote: »
    As in, you crank up the DeLorean go back to that guano infested wet market in Wuhan and stop the first transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from pangolin to peasant, or whatever, would you?
    Personally I would have to say no. And I don’t meant to be cruel and indifferent to the suffering and deaths of over a million people but the upside to the pandemic has been quite incredible. The reduction in pollution, the knock-on effect of reducing other far more lethal viral infections (such as AIDS) because of lockdowns, the fact that people in their normally tourist drenched cities can enjoy their cities again, the fact that captive endangered species can now mate (I’m thinking of you, pandas), decreasing carbon footprint, lack of soul crushing daily commute, cleaner air (which when it wasn’t so clean was responsible for many millions of excess deaths across the world), actually hearing nature, whales not having their oceans completely noise polluted by passing cargo ships... I think we stand to gain rather than to lose from Coronavirus. Mother Nature got pissed off with us humans and his struck back...

Probably better to nuke China from Orbit. They're the mother of infections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes I would but I dont miss the grinding morning gridlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This little blue planet would do just fine all by it's lonesome, with one less species of monkey around that likes to kill and destroy everything it touches!

Yet here you are consuming, using energy. Using a computer/phone made with materials stripped from the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And forgo the delicious bat? No way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Covid is nature’s way of stating that overpopulation of this planet will not be tolerated, and that the smart monkeys will be the first of the species culled if things get a bit cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Seen planet of the Apes? :D

Not the only time the earth has had technical issues tbf

Concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere were as high as 4,000 parts per million  during the Cambrian period about 500 million years ago when the oceans teamed with a huge variety of aquatic life

Extreme global warming occured during the Cretaceous period about 145 to 66 million years ago. During this time, new groups of mammals and birds, as well as flowering plants dominated land areas.

In between the the Earth’s landmasses changed dramatically, new seas were formed, and dinosaurs evolved, changed and dominated the planet for 165 million years and were then completely wiped out.

Humans are just a blip in time. As you said the planet will do just fine...

• Advertisement
Advertisement