Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Agent salary heck

Options
  • 30-09-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭

Apologies of this is the wrong forum to ask this. I'm moving to Dublin shortly and any of the letting agencies I've been speaking to require salary details as part of the application. I was wondering if there's a general rule they stick by to determine whether a tenant can afford rent and if so, what would the figure be? I'm happy to pay more for a nice place but don't want to waste my time applying for places I have no chance of.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Edit: I meant to say check in the title, not heck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would be normal enough to spend 20-40% of salary on rent. With the way rents have been higher in the last few years, a lot of people on low incomes could be spending more than 40%.

However, there is a lot of variation, e.g. someone on €300,000 shouldn't be spending €60,000/year or rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Victor wrote: »

However, there is a lot of variation, e.g. someone on €300,000 shouldn't be spending €60,000/year or rent.

Why not? They can well afford it. €240,000 a year after paying the rent should be enough for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Why not? They can well afford it. €240,000 a year after paying the rent should be enough for most people.

Most of that 300k gets taxed at over 50% remember.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Most of that 300k gets taxed at over 50% remember.

So what? No matter what way you dice and slice it they are going to have over 2K a week after paying the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

So what? No matter what way you dice and slice it they are going to have over 2K a week after paying the rent.

Because the few people that are on 300k a year don’t waste it on rent when they could build equity in houses costing a million quid. Not unless they’re waiting for the house to be built

• Advertisement

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Because the few people that are on 300k a year don’t waste it on rent when they could build equity in houses costing a million quid. Not unless they’re waiting for the house to be built

What people do and what they shouldn't do are two different things. One poster was saying they shouldn't do it. They are perfectly free to do it if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

2k a week,you wouldn't waste your time for that pocket change going too work

2k a week,you wouldn't waste your time for that pocket change going too work

Who says I work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Wtf has this thread turned into already :D

Advertisement