Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing underground pipe with sonde tracer

Options
  • 30-09-2020 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to trace a plastic pipe underground.

I see some hire shops have tracers with sondes.

https://www.hirehere.ie/cat-sonde

Has anyone hired one of these from a hire shop ? are they effective in tracing pipes underground ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

They work well enough but you need to hire the C-Scope to find your dildo (yes thats what they are know as in some hire shops) plus you need a set of drain rods.

Probably not used that often because they are easy to loose down a drain if your not handy with the drain rods.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does anyone know the best place to hire one of these with the detector? Or a company that will come out to mark the drain? I only need to map the location of 3-4m of drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You could try some of the guys that empty septic tanks. The local one near me has all the gear. Many not have the sonde tracer but I would have thought a camera trip down your pipe work would give you a good idea of where it runs.

Hell you could hold a mobile phone down the drain and take a picture up it which will tell you if its a straight run.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I rented the detector and sonde from hire here, €50+ vat. Worked quite well, really useful bit of kit. Found the sewer pipe, after 0.5m it was dropping at a 45 degree angle.

Also they had covered in concrete so the sonde was really handy.

Advertisement