Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24Hr Pack Rations

Options
  • 29-09-2020 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Came across this French 24Hr Pack Ration recently. The contents look quiet good and varied, vegans and veggies look away :). Haven’t had the pleasures of tasting the contents yet, will let you know.

pack1.jpg
    pack2.jpg
    pack3.jpg
    pack4.jpg
    pack5.jpg
    pack6.jpg
    pack7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Throw it all in together and make Range Stew and tell us how you got on. To simulate it properly,dig a trench in your back yard, live in it for three days and survive on 3 x 24 hr rat pack. Conduct this while it's raining and get your mates to wake you every three hours and make loud noises and make sure you keep your rifle clean. Wash with baby wipes for three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Uncle Fester

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Throw it all in together and make Range Stew and tell us how you got on. To simulate it properly,dig a trench in your back yard, live in it for three days and survive on 3 x 24 hr rat pack. Conduct this while it's raining and get your mates to wake you every three hours and make loud noises and make sure you keep your rifle clean. Wash with baby wipes for three days.
    It would probably taste a bit funny, but you certainly sound like you know what you are talking about, or are you all talk :pac:, three hours sleep is not too bad at all,. I’ll bow to your superior knowledge on the subject, however if you ever want to compare notes some day, you better have a big note book !! :-) Noe Jog on my friend !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Have had a fair few of these, this is one of the good ones.

Did you get the Pate?

Also....stay away from the salty crackers. Jaysis they are grim.

Ah, dont go soft on us now! get that shovel out and live the dream!...but seriously, rations are designed to bung you up so you dont have to **** for ages. Tuck the toilet roll away carefully,in a waterproof packet. You'll need it later, when the flood happens.... Sweets, fruit and chocolate are to be saved for really hard hours or for trading purposes. A chocaholic would sell his first-born for a few grams of chocolate at three am on sentry duty.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Ah, dont go soft on us now! get that shovel out and live the dream!...but seriously, rations are designed to bung you up so you dont have to **** for ages. Tuck the toilet roll away carefully,in a waterproof packet. You'll need it later, when the flood happens.... Sweets, fruit and chocolate are to be saved for really hard hours or for trading purposes. A chocaholic would sell his first-born for a few grams of chocolate at three am on sentry duty.

No need for the shovel, I’ve lived the dream long enough. Issued my first pack ration in 1985 and this my latest one on Sunday, and many, many more in between. When you've ridden the brown snake as many times as I have, you get a good appreciation of pack rations and their contents. Unless you consumed Beef Paste and Biscuits Brown AB, now that is a dream :-)

• Advertisement

In my time up the Glen, we were once issued British ration packs as a trial, so we had a go at Cheese, Possessed, Biscuits Brown and all that ****e and we preferred our own ration pack, despite the fact that some of them had to be thirty years old. They came in a stiff cardboard box,held together with staples, very like the boxes in our Tech Stores. The inner pack was in green plastic. It had labels saying things like: 1 man for 24 hours or 2 men for 12 hours. The tin of peaches in an Irish pack was the cherished prize! There was a hard biscuit in the Irish pack that had to be broken up with a solid object and mixed in with the tin of mystery meat. It was like a ship's biscuit, rock hard. We all carried extra bog roll and Mars Bars (back when they were a proper size) and tins of stew in our backpack (before the foreign name of bergen was ever heard of!) and after three days up the Glen, pipes bunged up, the resultant ****e was fantastic.

In my time in Somalia, we were on pack rations so long; they were supplemented with Camels Tongue from the French Foreign Legion. I don’t know which tasted worse, but it didn't kill us. That and crapping into a half barrel and watch it burn the following morning, kind of makes the trip to the Glen a walk in the park, but great memories all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think it's always the case that another lots rations taste better. I thought the Dutch ones were quite tasty, as were the Aussies. Nowadays I wouldn't eat a MRE unless absolutely forced to. Rather buy my own stuff, mountain house and the like have some tasty options. The best US ones are the cold weather ones by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Gundog 4314 on youtube reviews an Irish ration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Gundog 4314 on youtube reviews an Irish ration.

Oh. We actually have one? Are we sure that's genuine?

• Advertisement

Smiles35 wrote: »

The IDF logo is a bit of a giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

The IDF logo is a bit of a giveaway.

Anyone can print that up. In the days this post has been up, nobodys come forward that has had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Anyone can print that up. In the days this post has been up, nobodys come forward that has had one.

We have 10 actually. These were the menu choices from the previous tender.

https://imgur.com/ySbYykD

The 2016 tender specified

Menu A Lamb
    Menu B Beef
    Menu C Beef
    Menu D Beef
    Menu E Chicken
    Menu F Chicken
    Menu G Pork
    Menu H Pork
    Menu I Vegetarian
    Menu J Chicken
    Menu K Vegetarian

The video is from May 2017 with a best before Feb/2018 so it is safe to assume he has gotten an ORP from the 2016 sets. The menu in the video says Menu A and the main is Lamb Casserole, and sure enough that matches up with what the tender specifies. Menu A - Lamb. The 2016 tender was awarded to Vestey Foods UK and funnily enough the exterior bag states Produced by: Vestey Foods UK.

A new tender went out at the start of the year for the supply of Operation Ration Packs. It was won by Vestey Foods UK.
    The requirements were:

(i) Military operations can take place anywhere in the world, and at any time of the year. The Operational Ration Pack (ORP) must contain components that are ambient shelf life stable in a temperate climate. These rations may also be stored for short periods in extremes of temperature and humidity, and the contractor must take account of this when sourcing components for the ORP. Therefore components that are not stable at elevated temperatures (i.e. where the average daytime temperature is 40°C for periods of up to 90 days should not be included in the packs).
    (ii) All 24 Hr ORPs should contain core components including a breakfast (hot or cold), lunch element, main meal and dessert, snacks, beverage powders, and sundries including waterproof matches, water purification tablets (used where no portable water is available), dental chewing gum, wet wipes, tissues and a disposable spork for consuming the products in the ration. Essentially, individuals when issued with the 24 Hr ration are encouraged to eat the entire ration so components should be appetising, be varied from menu to menu and appeal to the consumer group of males and females with an age profile of 18-50 years, with substantial numbers in the 18 to 35 year age bracket.
    (iii) The requirement is for a varied menu choice with ten different menus. The same price must be listed for each menu. The food must taste of equal quality to that cooked in an operational environment. The main meals within the menus must correspond to those listed in table 5 below:

1 Menu A Beef
    2 Menu B Beef
    3 Menu C Beef
    4 Menu D Chicken
    5 Menu E Chicken
    6 Menu F Chicken
    7 Menu G Beef, Chicken, Lamb or Pork
    8 Menu H Lamb or Pork
    9 Menu I Lamb or Pork
    10 Menu J Vegetarian

The minimum nutritional value required for all menus provided as per Table 5 must include:
    • 4000 Kcals
    • 550gm Carbohydrate
    • 133gm Fat
    • 100gm Protein

Sorry for trying to help! :rolleyes:

I have had many. The ration pack in the video.is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I have had many. The ration pack in the video.is genuine.

They haven't been the same since they got rid of biscuits - brown and biscuits - fruit though :(

They haven't been the same since they got rid of biscuits - brown and biscuits - fruit though :(

Jesus :pac:

They were tough going. Although, im glad we dont have the heavy tin of pineapple slices anymore.

Miss the mint cake though!

Im not sure what the meat was, in the Irish packs. We called it mystery meat. We used to break up the biscuits and mix it into the meat.

Advertisement