Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some basic questions about weanlings!

Options
  • 29-09-2020 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Bare with me please.

Currently selling last of stock my father had (passed 6 months ago). I've 2 bullocks left that I'll be selling in next few weeks.

Will then be looking to restock.

Looking at Weanlings around the 5/6 month mark that are on meal. Will they be ready for grass and then silage? Or would I be better off buying in 6-12 month bracket?

Whichever will maximize the huge profits available out there :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

BullBauld wrote: »
    Bare with me please.

Currently selling last of stock my father had (passed 6 months ago). I've 2 bullocks left that I'll be selling in next few weeks.

Looking at Weanlings around the 5/6 month mark that are on meal. Will they be ready for grass and then silage? Or would I be better off buying in 6-12 month bracket?

Maybe it would be a better off buying 18 month old bullocks as less risk with pneumonia etc, lot of weanlings in marts straight off cows looking warm and will go back after that (if they stay in the field for ya)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

simx wrote: »
    Maybe it would be a better off buying 18 month old bullocks as less risk with pneumonia etc, lot of weanlings in marts straight off cows looking warm and will go back after that (if they stay in the field for ya)

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bare with me please.

By the sound of it you have not been too activily involved in running the farm. While your father may have bought weanlings and finished them or sold them in the mart unless you have been around Suckler weanlings before I be slow to buy them. My advice would be like Simx and buy 18 month old bullocks and finish them. If you intend staying at selling bullocks I consider bucket fed weanlings this is the term used for stock from the dairy side.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

By the sound of it you have not been too activily involved in running the farm. While your father may have bought weanlings and finished them or sold them in the mart unless you have been around Suckler weanlings before I be slow to buy them. My advice would be like Simx and buy 18 month old bullocks and finish them. If you intend staying at selling bullocks I consider bucket fed weanlings this is the term used for stock from the dairy side.

Yea true, I wasn't overly involved in things over the years. But I'm looking to keep things going and I'm gaining an interest now the more I learn and do. Plenty more learning ahead mind.

Ok advice is to go for the 18 month olds and cut out any potential problems with the younger weanlings.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yea true, I wasn't overly involved in things over the years. But I'm looking to keep things going and I'm gaining an interest now the more I learn and do. Plenty more learning ahead mind.

Ok advice is to go for the 18 month olds and cut out any potential problems with the younger weanlings.

Thanks folks.

Were the cattle being finished for the slaughter or did your father sell in the mart. If it as a weanling to store operations your father ran then bucket fed weanlings to store is also an option.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Were the cattle being finished for the slaughter or did your father sell in the mart. If it as a weanling to store operations your father ran then bucket fed weanlings to store is also an option.

Always to the mart.

Advertisement