Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire pullers

Options
  • 29-09-2020 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Well lads, what's the best make of wire pullers for a farmer that is suitable for pulling both electric and barbed wire. Don't mind paying for the right set.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

PLW17 wrote: »
    Well lads, what's the best make of wire pullers for a farmer that is suitable for pulling both electric and barbed wire. Don't mind paying for the right set.

Thanks in advance.

Hard to beat hayes wire strainer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Hard to beat hayes wire strainer

You'll buy Hayes type strainers on the net for very small money, and do the job perfectly. Have used both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Hausen 1.2M Chain Strainer Monkey Cattle Wire Fence Tensioner Pull Puller Stretcher https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CR9PZOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_w3YCFb5ZQCJ1E

Same one above. I bought it and no complaints. Cheap as chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭josephsoap

893bet wrote: »
    Hausen 1.2M Chain Strainer Monkey Cattle Wire Fence Tensioner Pull Puller Stretcher https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CR9PZOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_w3YCFb5ZQCJ1E

Same one above. I bought it and no complaints. Cheap as chips.

Any one have a good link to video on how to use those wire pullers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Once you go gripple....you never go back..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see Gallagher do one now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg_NBH9E7bQ

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

josephsoap wrote: »
    Any one have a good link to video on how to use those wire pullers ?

https://youtu.be/55U4DI0C4_M

alps wrote: »
    Once you go gripple....you never go back..

Not so easy on barbed wire? How do you do it? Add a piece of electric in somewhere on it?

• Advertisement

Not so easy on barbed wire? How do you do it? Add a piece of electric in somewhere on it?

Just use a different connection? Like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llolfTnAe0I

(I've never used it on barbed so cannot say.)

timple23 wrote: »
    Just use a different connection? Like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llolfTnAe0I

You will only get a strain the length of the distance between two barbs. Not practical really.

You will only get a strain the length of the distance between two barbs. Not practical really.

Look at video around 11 sec mark, the barb part is sliding along the wire. I don't know enough about barbed wire but maybe its possible to tension more than two barbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

No, in the video it pulls the barbs down the wire, probably works with some wire better than others.

I use gripples for all electric fence wire, and a wire winch puller with a speeco wire gripper for barbed but must look again at gripples for barbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

timple23 wrote: »

That won't work on any long distances you only get mediocre tension

I like strainrite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

There is some barbed wire that the thorns slide but they are cheaper wire and are very light , I bought one of the cheaper hayes trainers they are a waste of good money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

When I saw the title I thought it was about Ming Flanagan haha

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

When I saw the title I thought it was about Ming Flanagan haha

Very good :D I'd say he has as much experience in fencing as he has in the bog, none!

Very good :D I'd say he has as much experience in fencing as he has in the bog, none!

Ah now, he's that busy online with russian hackers it nearly melted his wires, anyway he's gone all green now like class grass.

• Advertisement

Was at this last week. 8 ft strainers at the ends and 7 ft turners for the bends. Strained with 3 Hayes strainers serious tension on the wire

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

As with a lot of jobs around the farm always remember the PPE and with wire please use safety glasses I know of a situation locally where a person suffered an eye injury working with wire. Nothing to do with Hayes wire strainer but all these rolls of wire whether sheep mesh or Barb wire or electric fence wire have a tendency to recoil when rolling out and working with them and can be very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

orm0nd wrote: »
    Was at this last week. 8 ft strainers at the ends and 7 ft turners for the bends. Strained with 3 Hayes strainers serious tension on the wire

I thought ye were getting out of sheep Ormond?

Aravo wrote: »
    As with a lot of jobs around the farm always remember the PPE and with wire please use safety glasses I know of a situation locally where a person suffered an eye injury working with wire. Nothing to do with Hayes wire strainer but all these rolls of wire whether sheep mesh or Barb wire or electric fence wire have a tendency to recoil when rolling out and working with them and can be very dangerous.

I dont know if any of ye here rembember the single strand barbed wire that was there years ago. It was HT.

An uncle of mine had a worker straining it and it snapped, he was midway along the line and it wrapped around his upper body . it was summertime and he was only wearing a white cotton shirt . I believe he was taken to casulty with some wire still embedded in his body. thankfully that stuff was taken off the market after a few years
    I thought ye were getting out of sheep Ormond?

Cutting down numbers ok but the farm layout isn't suitable for a 100% dairying & I like a bit of hardship :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

orm0nd wrote: »

Fair play. A good job in fairness. Tying off the ends is a tedious flipping job though. Hard to get it right all the time

Advertisement