Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1600 MM Opening , French or Sliding Doors ?

Options
  • 29-09-2020 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I intend replacing South Facing Kitchen window with a door of some kind , Decking already built outside is flush with internal floor , Its only 1600mm wide , What is my best option , Siding or French Doors ? Are there any other options ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

French doors.

A slider will only give you less than half of your ope, if it's the blockwork ope that's 1600. Take the width of the slider frame and the fact that they don't slide open fully across each other 50/50 of the opening. You'll be left with an opening of 700ish with a slider and the other side will be partialluy blocked off.

French = bigger opening + better access + outside inside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

French doors or a single door with a side panel, with " gear" on the door to stop it swinging in the wind

I have had both and I prefer the single wide door, especially if you want to fit an insect screen

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

French doors or a single door with a side panel, with " gear" on the door to stop it swinging in the wind

I have had both and I prefer the single wide door, especially if you want to fit an insect screen

The single wide door sounds perfect as on the inside we will have a couch against the non opening side.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Definitely French doors, especially if you have have decking level with the door. When the doors are fully open you'll feel like the decking is a continuation of the room whereas with a sliding door you'll still have an ~800mm wide barrier.

I got my back dining room window converted to a sliding patio door about 15 years ago and I've regretted not getting French doors ever since and will probably change them at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

100% French over slide in your case and far better from a security aspect also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

Another option but I would think it's expensive https://www.foldingdoorsdirectireland.ie/options/3-door-bi-fold-sets/ they do them from 1400mm and i'm sure there are other companies you could look at.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

con747 wrote: »
    Another option but I would think it's expensive https://www.foldingdoorsdirectireland.ie/options/3-door-bi-fold-sets/ they do them from 1400mm and i'm sure there are other companies you could look at.
    Wasted on a 1600mm opening IMO, never mind a 1400mm! They are great on wide openings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

Maybe, the OP asked for other options if available other than French or sliding doors.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

con747 wrote: »
    Maybe, the OP asked for other options if available other than French or sliding doors.

Thanks for that , I now have 4 options , Thanks Guys,

Advertisement