Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult to find short term rental

Options
  • 28-09-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

We’ve just sold our house and bought a new build that won’t be ready for at least 7 months so we need to find a rental in the meantime. The problem is that we need to stick to a certain area due to work and school commitments but all suitable properties in that area have a 1 year minimum lease.

I’ve heard about subletting and reassignment of the lease but my questions are - can we specifically ask to sublet and if they refuse, give valid termination? What if subletting is not allowed per the lease? If they refuse and offer for us to reassign instead, do we have to accept this? Can we then find another tenant or can the agent insist on finding a suitable one?

The info I’ve found on the RTB site is very high level so maybe someone has a more detailed link?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

We’ve just sold our house and bought a new build that won’t be ready for at least 7 months so we need to find a rental in the meantime. The problem is that we need to stick to a certain area due to work and school commitments but all suitable properties in that area have a 1 year minimum lease.

I’ve heard about subletting and reassignment of the lease but my questions are - can we specifically ask to sublet and if they refuse, give valid termination? What if subletting is not allowed per the lease? If they refuse and offer for us to reassign instead, do we have to accept this? Can we then find another tenant or can the agent insist on finding a suitable one?

The info I’ve found on the RTB site is very high level so maybe someone has a more detailed link?

Are you confident you will be able to find someone to assign it to? If you can’t, you are responsible for the rent until end of the 12 month term, the LL may not be able to get someone in to mitigate your loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

what area ask landlords as it's hard to find renters now

you might not get into your house in 7 months
    have they already started it it should take 6 months to build

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Polkadotpjs

Yeah I’m confident I wouldn’t have a problem finding someone else to take it on. I’m looking in the Sutton, Portmarnock, Kinsealy areas and there is still huge demand and low supply of rentals with 3+ bedrooms.

House has been started but good point, 7 months is likely to turn into more with winter and covid. Will it go over 12 months though? Probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seeing a lot of winter offseason rentals on my meandering round daft and rent ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Here is what you do. You sign a 12 month fixed term as this is the standard offered by letting agents as their fee is based on a 12 month lease. When it comes to 6 months or whenever you have a clear date for moving into your new house, you advised them in writing that you wish to assign. Find someone so that they are available to move at the time you wish to assign. The agent or landlord may refuse the assignment. If that is the case you then have the right to terminate your fixed term lease but need to give the relevant notice. It happens all of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Or just go and view and explain your situation that you don't want to commit to a one year lease but are happy to commit to 6 months as you are buying a house. You may be pleasantly surprised at the response you get.

Or else email agents in the area asking if they have anything suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Friends of us are in a similar situation , they have rented a holyday home
    They're have one month time to end rent period so tell the landlord before the first of the month they will leave on the end of the month
    Plenty holyday homes empty now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Here is what you do. You sign a 12 month fixed term as this is the standard offered by letting agents as their fee is based on a 12 month lease. When it comes to 6 months or whenever you have a clear date for moving into your new house, you advised them in writing that you wish to assign. Find someone so that they are available to move at the time you wish to assign. The agent or landlord may refuse the assignment. If that is the case you then have the right to terminate your fixed term lease but need to give the relevant notice. It happens all of the time.

What if the LL agrees and the op can’t find someone to assign the lease to? Considering there are a lot of empty rentals, both are a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Ask for a 6-month break clause - it's a fairly-standard concept, and while it might not be offered as standard, whenever I say I'd be looking to have one included in the contract, the landlord/agent so far has said that that's up for negotiation. They might refuse, but worth asking for, and much simpler than having to sublet.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

What I did when in a similar situation (in another country) was pay 6 months up front. It seemed to be the standard there as it was suggested by the letting agent. I've heard of the same happening in this country for less than 1 year rentals. I think that both letting agents and landlords get a bit nervous with shorter term rentals but the cash lump sum at the start makes them forget about their worries.
    The other option is to talk to the estate agent you've bought your new house off. They may know of properties that are not on the market at present because the landlords don't want to take a risk with tenants overstaying/not paying and may be able to find someone willing to rent to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement