Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Panel Heaters

Options
  • 28-09-2020 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

What would be the best rated of these? In terms of safety and performance?

From research Dimplex seem to have a good one - the EPX Panel Heater

(Heat Pumps, Air to Water etc. is out of the question for me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We did an overhaul about 3 years ago on my brothers house and put dimplex panel heaters in every room in the house. His oil tank got robbed for the 2nd time in 3 years so he said he wasnt buying oil anymore.
    He is going into his third winter now with it and is very happy.

Thermostats in each room and each heater is connected to a hub and so everything can be controlled from his phone and programmed.
    Heaters keep the minimum temperature in the bedrooms to 15C all throughthe night and 20C just before bedtime. Even the electric blankets turn on for an hour before they go to bed and then off automatically.

Other rooms are kept at 21C until bed time and heating comes back on at 7am in theses rooms. Each unit records the electricity it uses and when. You can even see the history of the cost per room per day.
    You can also turn everything off when the house is empty and have heating come on automatically half an hour before you get home.

So far his spend on electricity is significantly less than his spend on oil was for the previous years and the heating is more on demand, and controlled per room. Instead of having the boiler come on at 7 and off at 10am. On at 5pm off at 9:30pm as he used to have it.

And this year they have been at home during the day since March too.

This system is working out so well that my other brothers and parents are adopting it bit by bit too. You can set it up a bit at a time.

Think about a system like that while you are at it. But dimplex heaters are good. Go for the 2Kwh even if you dont need them because they heat the room from cold faster if you want to go with an automatic system like i described. Also if you use the thermostats connected to the hub you just leave the individual rad thermostats at the highest and let the hub control the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Thank you. Which specific model did he go for if you remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Thank you. Which specific model did he go for if you remember?

I cant remember the model now.
    They were 2kw dimplex panel heaters. Skinniest ones he could get.
    Nothing fancy on them at all. Basically an on off switch a thermostat. They just plug into a socket and the smart hub controls the power to them.
    But you dont have to go for dimplex. Any panel heater will do exactly the same job. He only got the dimplex ones because his wife liked the look of them. I think they dont look any different to models half the price myself.

He bought them up north for about £120 each.
    The app he uses is called smart things and the hub is zigbee.
    Between timers, scenes and thermostats he gets full automatic or manual control of the heating in each individual room. Lights and other stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Thank you!

From my research it seems like the Dimplex made Creda Aluminum Radiators are a good option.

Advertisement