Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-using tyres

Options
  • 28-09-2020 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I wonder is it advisable to use previously used tyres with good thread etc. etc. as a temporary measure? Not sure if tyres become perishable in storage, after use - if anyone knows, would appreciate some info. Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how old, and where stored? if cool and dark, they'll keep for several years. and if there's tread still on them, they shuold be OK on that front too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Related, probably silly, question. I have a set of almost new GP4000s that have been sitting in the back garden for a year and a half, uncovered. One on a wheel, one off. Should I forget about ever using these again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Breezer wrote: »
    Related, probably silly, question. I have a set of almost new GP4000s that have been sitting in the back garden for a year and a half, uncovered. One on a wheel, one off. Should I forget about ever using these again?

I wouldn’t. Cold weather hardens the rubber and cause it to crack/perish.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

how old, and where stored? if cool and dark, they'll keep for several years. and if there's tread still on them, they shuold be OK on that front too.

Thanks for this - the tyres are approximately 3/4 years old, not very high mileage, as stated the thread are still very good, stored folded in a cardbox box in the garage. it is only the rear tyre that is in a questionable state. I tend to change tyres reasonably frequently, with good thread levels etc. Somehow, the tyres currently on the bike have much lower mileage than previous tyres had when replaced. Will check all of this tomorrow as I keep a note in my cycling log of tyre change dates etc. Again, thank you for you input.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I wouldn’t. Cold weather hardens the rubber and cause it to crack/perish.
    on that note, are they actually cracked or perished looking though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Before you fit them give them a good looking at for cracks or brittleness. If they’re still supple I’d have no problem fitting them.
    Give them another good look over once they’re on a rim at full pressure and any cracks should show up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I’ll take a look. I may be back with photos, though, because I’m not sure I know my rear end from the middle of my arm on what I’m looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Breezer wrote: »
    I’ll take a look. I may be back with photos, though, because I’m not sure I know my rear end from the middle of my arm on what I’m looking for!

Just see how flexible the tyre is with your fingers. If it seems dried out or there are cracks in the rubber then it’s no good - especially the sidewalls, nearer to where the tyre fits into the rim. This is the thinnest area of the tyre and you don’t want any weakness here.
    Along the tread pattern you need to look for deep cuts or nicks that anything could easily pass through to puncture your tube.
    Any damage like fraying or flat spots or canvas showing through the rubber are signs that the tyre is past its usefulness

Advertisement