Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First games you'll buy/play on PS5?

Options
  • 28-09-2020 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭

Question asked by Kalico92 in the PS5 thread, but in all the pre-order talk etc it got kinda lost and thought it's worthy of its own thread.
    Kalico92 wrote: »
    What games are folks planning on getting at launch?

Thinking Miles Morales as a maybe and Cyberpunk as a definite (to take advantage of the upgrade in 2021)

Also the PS Plus Collection looks fairly decent to be able to go back and play missed classics while the generation gets going

I'm almost conflicted. In a way, Demons Souls and Cyberpunk would be high on the list, and I might get both on launch day anyway. But being a new console, I think the first thing I want to play on it is something that will take properly take advantage of new features such as the haptic feedback on the DualSense. It's why I'm thinking I might plough through Miles Morales as my first game, as I imagine it'll have more of those little touches than Demons Souls. Then probably Cyberpunk, then Demons Souls as the nights get colder and darker outside.

After those three, I'll probably move on to Godfall, AC Valhalla and Ghost of Tsushima (as I haven't played it yet, hoping for price drop in Xmas sale, or maybe even an upgrade to a PS5 version).

Godfall does interest me, but it's definitely one I want to see good reviews out the wazoo for before I pick it up. Want to make sure it's more of a Borderlands than a Battleborn.

Comments

Hey thanks for picking this up :) The reason I posted was I'm in almost the exact same predicament as you.

Miles Morales or Demons Souls seem to be the popular choicse and I opted for MM to play a game that will really lend a good experience to the new system. Only reason I have my doubts is if it's anything like the first Spiderman you'd have it cleared in a weekend and are kinda left waiting then. I think I'd add AC Valhalla as a next one to try like yourself.

It'll be interesting to see what the reviews are like when these titles launch

• Registered Users Posts: 29,619 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Good idea for a thread. People say there's a weak lineup but when games stretch to €80, it will be hard starting with more than 2 so interested to se what people are going for.

I have Cyberpunk pre-ordered to bring home with my PS5, no way I'm waiting for the next gen patch next year with all the hype behind it.
    Also getting Demon's Souls but haven't decided where yet. I'd say Argos will be about 75 so maybe should just preorder at Smyths so no further unnecessary stops going home for the sake of a fiver.

The Miles Morales ultimate edition off Santa as I never played the original DLC, interested to see the original updates and as the original is a digital code, I plan on beating MM first and selling while I can still get good value while keeping the original game.

Keeping my eye on AC Valhalla. I got very bored of the last AC game, never finished it, so no rush to buy it but it could be fun.

Lastly, I'm waiting on NBA 2K21 next gen info before deciding on that but if anything like the PS3 - PS4 upgrade, I'll be getting it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,397 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Damn, I actually forgot about DMC5:Special Edition, and I'll have to throw in Fifa as well (for when friends over, show off the new console and whatnot).

Nearly wondering now that maybe I'll just leave Miles Morales until later. Maybe grab Cyberpunk, Demons Souls, DMC5 and Fifa at launch, then AC Valhalla & Godfall/Ghost of Tsushima at Xmas (depending on Godfall's reviews), then Miles Morales in the new year. Or maybe swap Demons Souls and Miles Morales as I don't know if I could juggle Demons Souls and Cyberpunk at the same time given how lengthy they're both likely to be. At least MM can be a quick pick-up-and-play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

First game will likely be Astro's Playroom.

But if you mean non-free, it'll likely be a PS4 game, as don't plan on getting any PS5 games with it right away.

Think first game I tried on PS4 was Styx: Master of Shadows as I got the PS4 a bit after release and it was in my Plus collection.
    With the Vita, I got it second hand and first game I played was, I think, Ecco on the Sega genesis collection that was installed on it. New powerful handheld and I play Ecco. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Cyperpunk is a definite, then Miles Morales most likely. Enjoyed the first Spiderman but didn't play the DLC, so the €20 extra for the remastered version isn't too bad for me, especially if the remaster makes a big difference.

Never played a Souls game but all the talk has me intrigued in Demons Souls, plus it looks amazing. Will probably pick that up a bit later. AC Valhalla is another I'm keeping an eye on as I like the concept of it, but will wait for reviews and probably won't pick up for a while.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    First game will likely be Astro's Playroom.

But if you mean non-free, it'll likely be a PS4 game, as don't plan on getting any PS5 games with it right away.

Think first game I tried on PS4 was Styx: Master of Shadows as I got the PS4 a bit after release and it was in my Plus collection.
    With the Vita, I got it second hand and first game I played was, I think, Ecco on the Sega genesis collection that was installed on it. New powerful handheld and I play Ecco. :)

Think the first PS4 game I played was Killzone. Surprised I kept the PS4 because I didn't enjoy it at all.

Switched to AC: Black Flag an hour later though and never looked back :D. Played a lot of Resogun that first month too, which was a quality of PS+ game which has rarely been reached since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Fyi, if trading with Gamestop, any games on their list gets you 35 quid credit. So that brings it down to 45 for Demon Souls and 25 for Miles Morales

https://www.gamestop.ie/trade-list

Personally be playing MM first. Spidey was one of my PS4 highlights so looking forward to jumping (swinging!) back into that world with extra bells n whistles.

Had a bit of a splurge, also got DS, CP and AC Valhalla heading my way. If I'm gonna be in lockdown I'm gonna dam well enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm thinking MM with spiderman since I didn't play spiderman this generation (even though I got it on sale for cheap, just haven't had a chance yet to sit down to it) because I've always enjoyed those games. Godfall was looking very promising for me right up until the gameplay walkthrough and then I lost a bit of interest to be honest.

I've tried Demon souls before but I'm just not capable of putting that much time into a game, I don't have a huge amount of gaming time so crushing difficulty and learning curve just put me off.

To be honest, I'm strongly considering Destruction all-stars, I got destruction derby with the PS1 (3 years after launch :P) and loved it. And it looks like the right kind of quick play and entertainment I'd enjoy with friends. If it had local multiplayer, no question, that's the purchase for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Fyi, if trading with Gamestop, any games on their list gets you 35 quid credit. So that brings it down to 45 for Demon Souls and 25 for Miles Morales

https://www.gamestop.ie/trade-list

I love these lists because you can usually buy a game elsewhere and still save bob

Not an exhaustive list - Resident Evil 2 €20 in CEX, Resident Evil 4HD Remake €22, Ghost Recon €22, Fade to Silence €22, Warriors Orochi 4 €18

Probably a few games you could pick up around €15 in CEX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I had my Pro for less than two years, so there are quite a few PS4 games I didn't get around to playing. Spidey is one of them, so I'm going for MM Ultimate and Demon's Souls on launch. Those three games, and Cyberpunk on PC will keep me going until Christmas I expect. If not, there'll be other titles in the PS+ Collection to get stuck into.

I love these lists because you can usually buy a game elsewhere and still save bob

Not an exhaustive list - Resident Evil 2 €20 in CEX, Resident Evil 4HD Remake €22, Ghost Recon €22, Fade to Silence €22, Warriors Orochi 4 €18

Probably a few games you could pick up around €15 in CEX

Can be hit n miss but current list worked out great for me, I had 2 games (AC Ezio & AC7) gathering dust I was about to sell to cex for combined €26, now I got €70 credit for them. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Right now, based on what I don't have already on the PS4, what I like and what I like the look of then it's this.

AC
    Cyberpunk 2077(never heard of it till researching PS5)
    COD Cold War
    TLOU2
    Whatever GTAV for PS5 looks like, therefore anything that allows a PS5 patch from my PS4, RDR2 might look pretty nice on a PS5 (quick Google says probably not)

Two above just because I don't have them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Modern Warfare / Warzone, presumably this is upgradeable. Not a big fan of the next instalment but will probably get it for WZ.
    There's nothing that I feel I need to get straight away so I'm a bit more relaxed about getting one in 2020. Demons Souls probably from what I've seen and Cyberpunk because I'll get caught up in the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Apex Legends/Overwatch :D

Then probably Cyberpunk and maybe Miles Morales. The backward compatibility will be nice to keep things ticking over the first month or two. Remember the PS4 being slow to start having not liked Killzone at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Am I correct in saying if I buy Cyberpunk from the PS store for the PS4 I'll be able to play it on the PS5 at launch but it will be the PS4 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Am I correct in saying if I buy Cyberpunk from the PS store for the PS4 I'll be able to play it on the PS5 at launch but it will be the PS4 version?

Yup, and you get a free upgrade to the PS5 version when its released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I'm of the opinion either way it's still going to look class !

Is fifa 21 only available on ps4 and not ps5? Was thinking of picking it up on ps4 next week and saving it until then (I'm currently an xbox user) same with cyberpunk

As for launch I'm going with Miles, AC and maybe MW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Is fifa 21 only available on ps4 and not ps5? Was thinking of picking it up on ps4 next week and saving it until then (I'm currently an xbox user) same with cyberpunk

I believe you also get it for PS5 if you buy it for PS4, wouldn't think there would be any improvements for it mind

Does anyone know if single player save files (eg career mode in Fifa) will carry over from PS4 to PS5? I know it's probably unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I was just wondering.....Apart from much quicker loading times, will PS4 games look or play any better on PS5? Would there be higher framerates or anything?

Also are we likely to see many PS4 games being remastered for PS5 - For example in a couple of years time are we likely to see TLOU II on PS5 with sharper more detailed graphics like they did with TLOU when the PS4 came out?

• Advertisement

Just realised if I end up with the digital edition, the first game I'll be playing is Astro's Playground or whatever it's called as I'll have to wait for the other games to download :D

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I was just wondering.....Apart from much quicker loading times, will PS4 games look or play any better on PS5? Would there be higher framerates or anything?

Also are we likely to see many PS4 games being remastered for PS5 - For example in a couple of years time are we likely to see TLOU II on PS5 with sharper more detailed graphics like they did with TLOU when the PS4 came out?

Yes, most games will have improved graphics on PS5 to some extent. They tested the top 100 played games and said the majority of them have visual improvements, so it's assumed most will. Devs might also release patches to ensure it, but thats up to them. It's largely an unknown though.

As for remasters, yeah we're likely to see some PS5 upgrade versions of games, Ultimate Editions with dlcs included etc. Given that there's backwards compatibility now though, they might just offer the PS5 upgrade for free or a tenner or so if you own the PS4 version rather than having to buy the full new game. Some publishers are being a bit f*cky with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

Probably cyberpunk, and I did see a trailer for a new Harry Potter game which looks amazing!

Cyberpunk, ghost of tsushima and the last of us 2. Might get miles morales but none of the launch games really appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'll be getting Demon's Souls the day the PS5 arrives.
    I also want to test my new TV so will try and find a game with a 120fps mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ac Valhalla for me, already got it bought from Ubisoft.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Demon's Souls for me.
    Will pre-order it as soon as it's on the PS store.

Will also pick up Cyberpunk when collecting my PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

I skipped the PS4, never had the time to justify buying one. Now things have changed, so I held off to go with the 5, can't wait to get into Spiderman Miles Morales and AC Valhalla, might look for GT7 too I always liked a car game with a new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I preordered AC and cyberpunk today in gamestop, traded in 2 games with the 50% deal do got both for a total of €68, never buy games in ganestop but that was a decent saving !

Gonna pick up miles morales on launch day and will probably wait till Xmas for COD and maybe ghost of tshushima!

Thought about demon souls due to how unreal it looks but don't think I'd be patient enough for the dying and restarting carry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Fall Guys.

Advertisement