Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rebel toasters, AI, rise of machines, IOT and all that

Options
  • 27-09-2020 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

back in my day (im nonbinaryquantum so) nobody could text the kettle on the way home.

information harvesting and everyone downloading spurious apps with gay abandon.

nobodys reading anymore

Comments

Nobody is reading anymore..tis true for you..I think they're unable to think as deeply as a consequence..so we get loud shallow commentary..

But if I was able to text the kettle when I was on the way home or from the couch.. that would be handy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

1990sman wrote: »
    back in my day (im nonbinaryquantum so) nobody could text the kettle on the way home.

information harvesting and everyone downloading spurious apps with gay abandon.

nobodys reading anymore

Mate, you need Grindr for gay apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

If they make a robot that can fart and **** then that'd really be something

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

its not going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Man, some people are into weird sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Those Amazon Echo yokes baffle me. Paying a company money to provide you with a device that listens in on what you say just so you can get Alexa to play your boring Spotify dad rock playlist.

the Alexa end of days recordings are interesting. check them out.

ur man is annoying sorry but the content is interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Those Amazon Echo yokes baffle me. Paying a company money to provide you with a device that listens in on what you say just so you can get Alexa to play your boring Spotify dad rock playlist.

All fun and games until Alexa goes all skynet and tries to kill you with a jedward Spotify playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Did someone invent me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

See, ye are all going about this the wrong way. All those companies can have all the information they want, I freely give it (who really cares what a 37 year old Irish lad Googles?!). But ye are dead set against our robot overlords taking over. It's inevitable, and as such, I welcome them and will offer my services to them if they wish. I've no issue being that human that helps robots capture and take over other humans. They're easier to understand.

But it's your phone you should be most worried about. Myself and the mother went shopping for covers for couches the other day. Didn't Google it, but lo and behold my Facebook is every second ad for couch covers now. Your phone listens (and it can continue to listen for all I care). Nevermind your textable kettle, it's the phone you need to be wary of if you care about this kind of stuff.

Best get used to it anyway, it's the future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How about the Nest device that had a hidden microphone

Or all the vice commanded TV's that continuously sent unencrypted voice to third parties ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Ring has a new device out, not just a doorbell but a flaming (well not actually on fire) drone
    - that flies around your pad all day on the 'look out' (i.e. snooping) at how untidy it is.

Ideal for the techno-geek-burglar types to draw up floor plans and get a measure of how big the big TV actually is, pre-entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

See, ye are all going about this the wrong way. All those companies can have all the information they want, I freely give it (who really cares what a 37 year old Irish lad Googles?!). But ye are dead set against our robot overlords taking over. It's inevitable, and as such, I welcome them and will offer my services to them if they wish. I've no issue being that human that helps robots capture and take over other humans. They're easier to understand.

But it's your phone you should be most worried about. Myself and the mother went shopping for covers for couches the other day. Didn't Google it, but lo and behold my Facebook is every second ad for couch covers now. Your phone listens (and it can continue to listen for all I care). Nevermind your textable kettle, it's the phone you need to be wary of if you care about this kind of stuff.

Best get used to it anyway, it's the future.

I had a saw break down on me at work last week and like you I never googled it only talked about how much a new one would cost with my coworkers, all ads about saws since and this was a very specific type of saw and the ads are aimed at the saw I was talking about buying, crazy stuff altogether

I've noticed it a few times now. One one hand, you could look at it as invasive, etc. On the other, it's actually quite handy, because I often talk out loud to myself about having to get something, and Facebook reminds me then a couple of days later. It's all the future anyway, we might as well get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's all the future anyway, we might as well get used to it.
    Sounds alot like the level of mental resignation of the Chinese Uighurs, currently living under oppression via technologies, or the youngsters on the streets of HongKong. Ah well, sure lookit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Definitely don't need this guy........ :D

Sounds alot like the level of mental resignation of the Chinese Uighurs, currently living under oppression via technologies, or the youngsters on the streets of HongKong. Ah well, sure lookit.

No idea what that has to do with me, haven't even heard of those lads before. But, you call it resignation, I call it acceptance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

You need a kettle that fills water by text
    I just text my girlfriend put on kettle

It's certainly not going to end well. I can tell you that much for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

1990sman wrote: »
    It's certainly not going to end well. I can tell you that much for free.

Well feel free to run away and join the Amish.

Technology is improving at an increasing rate.
    Like any tool it can be used for good or bad.
    But when it gets to the stage where computers/AI are vastly more intelligent than humans it will be about control.
    Do we control the AI and decide whether to implement their ideas and plans, or do we let them manage us.

At that stage its likely all intellectual achievements will be from the AI so will humanity give up on learning and working if most jobs and production are automated.

Advertisement