Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old brick open fire. How to light a fire in it safely

Options
  • 27-09-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have an old open fire. Its basically a big brick opening measuring 3ft wide by 4ft high.
    I've had it cleaned and sat a firegrate in it and lit a firelog in it. The draw on the smoke is good with no smoke entering the room, its all going up the chimney.
    We really love the look of it but are conscious that we are lighting a fire in what is just exposed brick.
    So we looked at getting one of those fire plates. Will that be enough protection for the red brick at the back of the fireplace.
    Ant advice is welcome, we want to avoid lining the whole thing with firebricks if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭rn

I think if you're burning timber and turf/briquettes or something like cosy glow, you should be alright as regards the bricks. Just don't over fill the grate.

What would concern me a bit is the hearth. It doesn't look very big, there's old timber floorboards pretty close and flush. Wouldn't let too much Ash build up underneath incase cinders roll off ash pile underneath grate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭blackbox

rn wrote: »
    I think if you're burning timber and turf/briquettes or something like cosy glow, you should be alright as regards the bricks. Just don't over fill the grate.

What would concern me a bit is the hearth. It doesn't look very big, there's old timber floorboards pretty close and flush. Wouldn't let too much Ash build up underneath incase cinders roll off ash pile underneath grate.

A fender around the hearth would hold back any embers.

You probably have so much air going up that chimney that the bricks won't get very hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Thanks for the replies.
    Its definitely a fire just for ambience and not really for heating.
    We are conscious of the hearth being level with the floor so its never a fire thats left lit and off to bed if you know what i mean.
    We do plan on getting a fire guard to help with that.
    Just in relation to the bricks getting hot, what can happen if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cd76

If you want an open fire in that you should deepen the fireplace. It is way too shallow.
    You then need to put in a raised hearth and make it wider. It needs to extend at least 16" (M.I.A.) past the front edge of the fireplace and at least 8" beyond each side of the fireplace opening. The hearth slab needs to be at least 4" in thickness, it has to be supported by noncombustible materials or able to carry its own weight.

So, there's a bit of work in that. Best alternative is to put in a wood burning stove. Won't need any of the above. Will only require chimney liner conduit installed. Will still give the same effect and produce much better heat than an open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

cd76 wrote: »
    If you want an open fire in that you should deepen the fireplace. It is way too shallow.
    You then need to put in a raised hearth and make it wider. It needs to extend at least 16" (M.I.A.) past the front edge of the fireplace and at least 8" beyond each side of the fireplace opening. The hearth slab needs to be at least 4" in thickness, it has to be supported by noncombustible materials or able to carry its own weight.

So, there's a bit of work in that. Best alternative is to put in a wood burning stove. Won't need any of the above. Will only require chimney liner conduit installed. Will still give the same effect and produce much better heat than an open fire.

Thanks for the reply.
    Im not sure i follow though. I have an open fire burning now in it and the draw for the smoke is fine. Are you talking about to stop sparks or embers rolling to the wood floor id need to make it deeper? Would a fender not stop that.
    I plan on having a fire guard in front for when its unattended in case it spits.
    I guess im worried about the brick at the back of the fire now getting damaged

I dont agree with the stove being the same, for me its a very different experience sitting in front of an open fire and a stove. I do agree its better heat from a stove but this is purely for ambience, not too concerned with it heating the whole room

• Advertisement
Advertisement