Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rental income - means test

Options
  • 27-09-2020 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks,

I have a query, and this is the backstory: I am a single mom, and will be transferring from Unemployment Benefit to Unemployment Assistance next week and UA is means tested.

I own a property, but had to move and rent out this property (not registered) and I am now renting elsewhere. This rental income covers my mortgage and contributes to my current rent. (I do not claim rent allowance.) I am hoping to be working in the next month, fingers crossed.

My question is if I declare to Social Welfare that I have rental income for my house, will this
    a. affect my unemployment assistance rate? Do mortgage and rent payments get deducted from any rental income I receive?
    b. Do Social Welfare and Revenue communicate? If I tell Social Welfare that I have rental income, will they be obliged to let Revenue know?
    c. And if so, how do they calculate what income tax is due on the property? Will I have to backpay tax?

Lots of questions, I really hope someone can help/advise me, as I don't know where to turn.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

This isn't hypothetical.
    Declare your income.

Advertisement