Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do these pipes need to be replaced?

Options
  • 27-09-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

A friend of mine has a toilet which has a weak flush and blocks very easily. Therefore she has to put any toilet paper into a separate bin.

The toilet has completely blocked (sewage coming up the sink, shower and drainage pipe) twice in two months. The landlord wants her to pay for this.

However the pipes appear to be in really bad shape. I've attached a few photos of them.

Could these pipes be the cause of the issue? Can toilets get blocked easily from poop alone?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

There are a number of issues from your description of things.
    Is there anything that can be done to improve the quality of the flush, for example, increase the water level in the cistern or change the flush valve to create a stronger flush. If either one is or both are an issue it could explain the regular blockages.
    The pipework.. doesn't look in great shape, but most of that corrosion appears to be from leaks on the jointing, either the seals have deteriorated or it could be water dripping onto the pipework from elsewhere.
    If the red pipework is part of a shared use system, then the responsibility is with the management company to check over it and carry out any remedial work.
    It is not the tenants responsibility to pay for faulty pipework or non functioning toilet facilities.
    Tell your friend to find another place to live and let the landlord try find a new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Thanks so much for your response. I asked my friend about this and she told me the flush is very weak and quite small. Interesting that this could be the issue or a contributing factor. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your response. I asked my friend about this and she told me the flush is very weak and quite small. Interesting that this could be the issue or a contributing factor. Thanks again.

Are the red pipes carrying waste?? They look like gunbarrell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are the red pipes carrying waste?? They look like gunbarrell

I don't know.

All I know is she told me all the pipes coming from her toilet area (sink, shower, toilet, whatever) are rusted and damaged looking, similar to the photos.

Advertisement