Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aluminium threshold adhesive

Options
  • 27-09-2020 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

hi, looking for some advice. I have an aluminium threshold between hall and kitchen (tiles and laminate flooring). It came away a few months back. I tried to reattach it (twice!) using No more Nails, but it eventually came loose again.

Is there any heavy duty adhesive I can get for this?

527542.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,735 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tech 7 perhaps. Bond it to one side not both as you might have expansion on the timber floor side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You've probably got a bit of movement in the laminate floor that is making the aluminium strip become loose. You could try a wider timber door saddle.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

You've probably got a bit of movement in the laminate floor that is making the aluminium strip become loose. You could try a wider timber door saddle.

Yes, there's a lot of traffic here as it's the Hall to Kitchen. All the other thresholds are aluminium so it might look a bit odd having wood here. I'm going to check out the Tech 7 to see if that works. If not I'll take a look at your suggestion. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Cleaning the area you are gluing will make a huge difference. Try cleaning both the strip and the floor with Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) before you try again. I've been using Tiger Seal on a some jobs recently (sticking aluminum to glass) and it is very tough but not really an amateur product as there is nothing that will remove it and once opened a tube goes off in a couple of days.

Your original aluminum strip would have been self adhesive with a double sided tape on it (one side already stuck to the aluminum). That tape normally has a foam backing which allows for a bit of give which might be advantageous. Again when stickling down that tape cleaning with IPA makes it very difficult to remove.

The other option is to get a traditional screw down strip.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

if you have the skills, then countersink two small screws into the gap between the tiles and the wooden floor, keep them left and right of the central traffic area and it will wrk fine. The tech7 would act as a cushion

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement