Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To stay or go dilemna

Options
  • 27-09-2020 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm struggling to make a decision about my job and need some impartial advice on whether I should stay where I am or move on. I'm currently employed in the medical sector, working 3 12 hour shifts a week, set days midweek , 5 minute commute, slightly more than standard pay and I enjoy the actual work. However my employer is a nightmare to work with, impossible to communicate with and the atmosphere in my workplace is toxic, especially since covid has increased pressure. There is a culture of blame, negativity and backstabbing which leads to a really difficult work environment. In saying that, I personally had adopted an attitude over the years of head down keep busy and stay out of the politics but lately that is getting harder to do, we have had staff out on stress leave, staff walk out in tears on a weekly basis and a huge turnover in the last few months. I have anxiety about work now before my 3 days start, including sleepless nights and racing heartbeat which I never experienced before, and a huge sense of relief when I begin my days off.
    So I'm starting to consider should I move jobs...any other job in my sector would involve a commute of min 30 mins each way, probably more and would definitely involve weekend/ night work as a new employee- long term staff tend to get the nice day shifts which I have now. I know the grass isnt always greener and most medical employees if not all are under extreme pressure right now but where do you draw the line?
    I should also mention that there is no HR department/ higher dept and many staff have explained to my employer quite clearly the reasons why they are leaving and nothing has ever changed over the years I have worked here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If I were in that scenario I would stay but increase my efforts to find an alternative that was more attractive. Sacrificing a non existent commute & stable hours for more travel and less enticing working hours would not be a good move, for me.

However it depends on the person and their stage of life/career - if you are young and single(ish), then you should definitely change.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

Thank you, I'm definitely not young or single , have teenage children so the no commute etc suits me, I have worked almost 30 years in this area and have never had an issue with employers before, or at least not a big enough issue to let it bother me, perhaps the increased demands of covid is contributing to the stress levels and is possibly across the board in my sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The scenario you are explaining could have been me typing it back in 2016.

I choose to keep my head down, ploughing on with it, it almost killed me (literally)

36 hours of your working week, you are unhappy, miserable, stressed...

You are spending 1872 hours of your life per year, 112320 minutes a year at a place that makes you unhappy , doing something that makes you unhappy... get going and get happy, fūck em.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

As long as it is only a 30 minute commute, people seem to underestimate these things, I'd move. It's amazing the toll work can take on your mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

deise18 wrote: »
    There is a culture of blame, negativity and backstabbing which leads to a really difficult work environment.

Could this be solved?

Could you have a heart to heart with the decision maker about how to solve it?

Could you get promoted to solve it?

I feel it's worth exploring this before leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Could this be solved?

Could you have a heart to heart with the decision maker about how to solve it?

Could you get promoted to solve it?

I feel it's worth exploring this before leaving.

Problem there is you can end up having to ‘manage’ your manager. That’s a draining exercise, but it suits a lot of managers...

The manager then become encouraged to be reactive instead of proactive in every aspect of their performance.

We had it ourselves and when issues were flagged..
    “Lads, why didn’t you say anything, I could have got it sorted, how was I to know ?” “ because you are the manager, it was included in the last three end of week reports, because you are the manager, it was included in the last three end of week reports, because you are the manager, it was included in the last three....

You were to know because you are the fûcking manager

Advertisement