Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3k budget - new bike recommendations

Options
  • 26-09-2020 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for some helpful assistance! I am currently looking at upgrading my 7 year old specialized allez from 2013 to a new carbon bike! Going to use the bike to work plus cash, budgeting roughly 3k. Looking at Trek Emonda for about €2.6k which has the 105 groupset ( considering the upgrade to integrated handlebar for 600e!!) Looks like a great bike!

Roughly do between 100km - 180km per week outdoors and now on zwift indoors!
    Question is, is there better bang for my buck out there? It's a but mind boggling the more I look into it!! Cheers all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Yes there is much better bang for buck out there Treks are a fair bit overpriced.
    This vitus is an example of something better for the money.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/vitus-vitesse-evo-cr-road-bike-105-2021/rp-prod195723

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

105 is a great groupset and I have it on a few bikes but being honest I'd want Ultegra in that price range. Looking around online I've spotted a Specialized Tarmac SL6 with Ultegra Di2 disc for a bit above your budget (not sure on delivery or B2W capacity).

You'd get Ultegra rim or disc in that price range easily with a bit of looking around. If you want electronic shifting you should find it for the rim braked version but Di2 disc under 3000 isn't easy.

I'd also consider keeping the Specialized as a trainer bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Have a look on eBay. You can sometimes pick up good deals on new or 1 year old. In that price range I’d definitely be looking for Di2.

As an example look at the spec on this that sold not so long ago

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164362085984

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sulli

Thanks for that, will keep that in mind. Defo keeping the specialized for the turbo sessions!! ðŸ˜
    105 is a great groupset and I have it on a few bikes but being honest I'd want Ultegra in that price range. Looking around online I've spotted a Specialized Tarmac SL6 with Ultegra Di2 disc for a bit above your budget (not sure on delivery or B2W capacity).

You'd get Ultegra rim or disc in that price range easily with a bit of looking around. If you want electronic shifting you should find it for the rim braked version but Di2 disc under 3000 isn't easy.

I'd also consider keeping the Specialized as a trainer bike

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

Canyon endurance ulegra disc di2 €3200 or e we ithout di2 2400

• Advertisement

That's a fine looking bike!! Will look into it, obviously a lot more value to be had!!
    jimmyging wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jimmyging wrote: »

was thinking of getting a blue one in march none in stock now shipping nov 2. got a 2019 cannondale synapse ultegra di2 for 2.8k instead. delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Jimbo789

Canyon usually offer good value because you buy them directly rather than from a dealer but I don’t know if that works for bike 2 work scheme.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's an odd time of year to be looking at getting an expensive new bike, just as the evenings are drawing in. unless you can get a bargain from last year's models, reduced.

Is there a better time? Stock also seems to be a bit of an issue in some places and by all accounts will be a good while before returns to normal.
    it's an odd time of year to be looking at getting an expensive new bike, just as the evenings are drawing in. unless you can get a bargain from last year's models, reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Probably a stupid question .... but what difference do you expect to see when riding a 3k carbon bike compared to what you currently have.
    Do you expect to be able to do your current rides/commute in x% less time or will it make it easier to do hilly terrain ... or is it just to see what it's like to ride a bike similar to the pros?
    Just curious...

Not stupid at all!! Couple of things, better overall feel on those longer spins of 100km+. Also any help I can get to make climbing easy I'll take especially up the Wicklow mountains 😂. My aluminium bike has done me 7-8 years now so putting 3k in for another 7-8 years isn't too bad😠It helps it looks the bomb aswell especially with the Aeolus integrated stem!
    john9876 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question .... but what difference do you expect to see when riding a 3k carbon bike compared to what you currently have.
    Do you expect to be able to do your current rides/commute in x% less time or will it make it easier to do hilly terrain ... or is it just to see what it's like to ride a bike similar to the pros?
    Just curious...

Advertisement