Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New bike - 27.5" or 29"?

Options
  • 25-09-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭

I've started looking into replacing my ageing 26" MTB. Being a short arse (5'7"/170cm), I assumed it would be a straightforward choice of 27.5" wheels for my new bike. After reading the pros and cons, it sounds like 27.5" might be more fun for my riding style vs 29" as well (I like twisty turny stuff). However looking at the market, it seems that 27.5" wheels might also be going the way of 26" wheels? Trek for example, don't seem to even make size M frames with 27.5" wheels anymore, only size S and smaller come in 27.5" version. Most of the bikes I've seen for sale have been 29". If I do manage to find a 27.5" bike, am I dooming myself to the same service difficulties and obsolescence issues as my 26" bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

You're going to get some interesting responses to this I'd say.

My opinion - go for a 29er. My last bike was 27.5 and it was great, but my current one is 29 and I wouldn't go back. I was worried about turning circle, but didn't notice any difference at all on the tightest trail I know (Dire Straits in Slade). The 29er has shorter chain stays, so the overall length of the 2 bikes was the same. And it just seems to roll better over everything.

My wife is 5'6" and she has a 29er also, so I don't think it's anything to do with height.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Try them both, only you can decide that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm 5"7 and have a 29er. Like you I was unsure but it's pretty stable and nimble. Only thing I'm finding it harder is bunny hops, but that might be just because I'm getting crapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Why limit yourself to one when you can you can have both with the mullet bike! 29 up front, 27.5 at the party end. I'd love to try one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭prunudo

Bikes are evolving every year, a 29er from 2018 will have different characteristics than a 2021 model. Its all about short chainstays and short offset forks.
    Having recently (finally) bought a 29er I was very apprehensive about how it would handle compare to my 27.5 but have to say while its early doors so far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Not in the market for a new bike, so I'm not 100% up to date but I'd be surprised if you ended up with any parts or servicing issues with a 27.5 for as good few years yet. Certainly wouldn't buy a 29 just in case 27.5 goes the way of 26's - surely that's not an issue yet??

I'd say base it on riding both. Rent or borrow and ride them on trails you know if possible. You'll probably notice a slight loss in agility going from 26 to 27.5 but that's compensated with stability and serviceable parts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

I am looking at a new bike at the moment and I was googling 'is 27.5 dead' and IMO 27.5 isn't going away anytime soon. Most manufacturers are offering S & M in 27.5 and M, L & XL in 29. So in terms of parts 27.5 isn't going away.

Its really down to personal preference.

I am in the market for a new bike atm, and I am going for 29. I was about to go 27.5 for full sus and 29 for hardtail build project but I am not going 29 for both. I am size L on a bike and I think that in terms of resale 29 will be more salable in size L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

5'4 and have a 29er HT and trail bike both size small. Much prefer the latter to the 27.5 version of the same model I had previously. Find climbing and descending better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cool. Ordered a 29er (only wheel size available on size M frame). Will let you know how it goes in March :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭prunudo

Stark wrote: »
    Cool. Ordered a 29er (only wheel size available on size M frame). Will let you know how it goes in March :eek:

March, you must be a patient man! Best of luck it, what did you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Trek Fuel Ex 5.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Pulled the trigger on a 27.5 HT last week, luckily its 7 days delivery where I am.
    The eldest kid can use it as well as he moves off his 26 , I think the 27.5 will be better for him to improve bike handling skills on the trails before he moves onto a 29'r.
    Last thing he needs is more downhill speed given his lack of experience.

Plus I will use this as a winter training bike for the road whilst he is at school. The harder those winter trail miles are the stronger you are come the road season IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on a 27.5 HT last week, luckily its 7 days delivery where I am.
    The eldest kid can use it as well as he moves off his 26 , I think the 27.5 will be better for him to improve bike handling skills on the trails before he moves onto a 29'r.
    Last thing he needs is more downhill speed given his lack of experience.

Plus I will use this as a winter training bike for the road whilst he is at school. The harder those winter trail miles are the stronger you are come the road season IMO

Where did you get your bike? any where ive been asking is saying march and i cant wait that long :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    Where did you get your bike? any where ive been asking is saying march and i cant wait that long :eek:

La Ville Lumière

it was very tricky to track down, I lucked out after spending many hours looking at every potential manufacturer and source.
    Bike shortages and even parts shortages are off the charts. I was going to just change groupset, fork and wheel setup on an aging 26'r but when I priced those I knew the best option was a new bike .

All I can say is just keep trying keep an eye on online retailers, setup a email notification for some bikes, etc. Good Luck.

Advertisement