Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squeaky wooden bedframe keeping me awake...

Options
  • 25-09-2020 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Have a pretty newish wooden bedframe which wasnt cheap but recently after a house move we re assembled the bed and its quite squeaky and keeping me awake when i toss and turn. It was never like this before and wanted to try fix it before i look into buying a new bedframe. Its the side panelling thats the problem with the long bolts, i took it apart again and put in washers (as someone mentioned might work online) and tightened it all up but no luck.

Any tips lol...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Have a pretty newish wooden bedframe which wasnt cheap but recently after a house move we re assembled the bed and its quite squeaky and keeping me awake when i toss and turn. It was never like this before and wanted to try fix it before i look into buying a new bedframe. Its the side panelling thats the problem with the long bolts, i took it apart again and put in washers (as someone mentioned might work online) and tightened it all up but no luck.

Any tips lol...

Any pics of the section that is squeaking

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Had a similar issue.

I added some L brackets where the sides met the headboard - 1 each corner.

I also loosened the frame and inserted those stick on foam pads that you would put under furniture between the side runner and the headboard, either side of the dowels and bolts, then tightened it back up again. This eliminated nearly all squeaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

I used a heavy black pencil like a carpenters pencil and smeared it anywhere between rubbing surfaces. Even better is a carbon motor brush if you can access one. You could also try using graphite powder. I have in the past ground down a pencil lead (graphite) using sandpaper and collected the graphite dust and used it for squeaking floorboards and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Probably over tightened on reassembly

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

we have this issue too on a king size bed,
    a lot less noise if you lye horizontal across the bed; it doesn't make as much noise when rowing the boat,

I purchased two sheets of ply wood and screwed them in to the frame underneath the mattress which also helped to keep all the sections together as one, i was going to say increasingly rigged but there's enough innuendo lol
    evostick wood glue where possible also helps; the main issue is that wooden panels shrink over a length of time which allows for the movement,
    if you can get some cork board and stick it to the face of each panel prior to bolting or screwing together this may cushion movement,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you don't need to take it apart again, a good gap filling glue like Gorilla glue (the slightly transparent amber coloured water activated stuff, not the creamy wood glue) will produce a squeak free joint.

Or just feck a load of Tek 7 in there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Lumen wrote: »
    If you don't need to take it apart again, a good gap filling glue like Gorilla glue (the slightly transparent amber coloured water activated stuff, not the creamy wood glue) will produce a squeak free joint.

Or just feck a load of Tek 7 in there :pac:
    Gorilla Glue is excellent stuff, good call there
    might be a few bottles left in your local Aldi they had it on offer a few weeks ago, might bag a bargain

Advertisement