Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nipit Hand Stopper (Thumb Sucking)

Options
  • 24-09-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, the missus is on the verge of getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Age-2-7-Stop-Thumb-Sucking/dp/B00VQU2DZS

Our three & a half year old is a chronic thumb sucker. Sitting on the sofa, at the table, in bed at night she's on it a lot. She's possibly got sensory processing disorder and personality wise she's quiet, a little anxious so it's a means to calm herself.

Personally I'm not sure that the above is the right way to go about stopping thumb sucking. Have you any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That looks awful. Why don’t you let your daughter grow out of it in her own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

eviltwin wrote: »
    That looks awful. Why don’t you let your daughter grow out of it in her own time.

Totally agree. My cousin and my sister in law were thumb suckers until maybe 5 or 6. Both of them in their 30’s now and of course they grew out of it. I would think the impact of putting that thing on your child especially if she sucks her thumb to comfort herself would be a lot worse than the thumb sucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It looks a bit gimicky. Would she not just pull it off anyhow? I know my kids would have that off In seconds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Same here....no hope of getting it on a 3.5 year old, or of them leaving it on.Wouldn't happen.It does look a bit gimmicky tbh OP.She is 3.5, I would leave her.Maybe just gently remove her thumb at tables and that, outside of sleeping, but she will grow out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why would you take something that comforts her away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

That looks like a device from the Middle Ages in pretty colours.. horrific!
    She is only 3.5, and if it comforts her let her be, she is still a baby, she will grow out if it in her own time.

If you do still proceed to try and stop her, please come up with another method other than that thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

eviltwin wrote: »
    bee06 wrote: »
    Totally agree. My cousin and my sister in law were thumb suckers until maybe 5 or 6. Both of them in their 30’s now and of course they grew out of it. I would think the impact of putting that thing on your child especially if she sucks her thumb to comfort herself would be a lot worse than the thumb sucking.
    lazygal wrote: »
    Why would you take something that comforts her away.
    gogo wrote: »
    That looks like a device from the Middle Ages in pretty colours.. horrific!
    She is only 3.5, and if it comforts her let her be, she is still a baby, she will grow out if it in her own time.

If you do still proceed to try and stop her, please come up with another method other than that thing..

The posts above are exactly the reason I've posted here asking for advice. I don't believe myself that it's the right way to go about things. For me it seems somewhat cruel, it doesn't seem an intelligent approach to the issue.

I don't really have a problem with the thumb sucking myself but my partner goes on about it all the time and is convinced she's doing damage to her teeth. I'm no expert on the matter and she's our first and only child so don't have any previous experience to go on. I feel the best approach would be to try to encourage her not to do it but certainly not to physically deny her it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I sucked my thumb up until I was about 12 and my teeth are perfectly straight. In contrast my son never sucked his thumb, and lost interest in a soother very young and even though he's only got a few adult teeth so far I can already see he will more than likely need braces in his teens.

Just let her suck her thumb. Especially if she has anxiety and sensory issues.

Advertisement