Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have a bike licence

Options
  • 24-09-2020 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Hi.... I converted my old uk car licence just before brexit and it looks like I have a full bike licence ..... excites and terrifies me if I did ...

Of course I wouldnt ever dare go riding a motor bike without the proper lessons as a careful driver of 25 years experience ...

Can someone have a look and advise me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

No. It is restricted to three wheel vehicles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anything in the right hand column is a restriction. Restrictions numbers are available on ndls website.

You have a restricted license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

listermint wrote: »
    Anything in the right hand column is a restriction. Restrictions numbers are available on ndls website.

You have a restricted license.

Fewwwww .... that's a relief..... I'll live a few more years so .....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

wonski wrote: »
    No. It is restricted to three wheel vehicles ;)

Suppose if you were pulled over you could always say you're just on the way to pick up the third wheel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

antix80 wrote: »
    Suppose if you were pulled over you could always say you're just on the way to pick up the third wheel

Ha ha ... brilliant ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I know you could ride a trike with a car license but it didn't use to show it on the license.

My dads full Irish license got renewed recently and he'd the same now, also full AM even if he'd not that before (he didn't tick whatever box it was back in the day)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Varik wrote: »
    I know you could ride a trike with a car license but it didn't use to show it on the license.

My dads full Irish license got renewed recently and he'd the same now, also full AM even if he'd not that before (he didn't tick whatever box it was back in the day)

If you got your B licence before Oct 2006 then you automatically get a moped licence. They are just putting what you can drive on all licences. How many people applied for W yet have this on their licence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Lightweight tricycles used to be in category B (or sub-category B1 in the UK), but got moved to category A in 2013 (or whenever the 3rd Driving Licence directive came in)

Don't know when the NDLS started showing things properly. Mrs has exchange licence issued 2016 without A(79.03) tricycle entitlement and current one 2020 with.

527484.jpg

527486.jpg

Not sure about the A1 mind, she only ever passed her B test, or is it a grandfather rights thing to cover old 50km/h mopeds (similar to UK national category p)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So heres a question. I also have the 79.03 on mine- does that mean I can start driving a trike on a car licence?

A leg injury stopped me doing my IBT a few years back and now Im getting a bit older it looks like Ill need a new knee quite soon so a trike might be the way to go.

How does it work with what the trike is built on chassis wise ie if its a VW chassis is it a car or if its built on a bike chassis is it a bike?
    How does it affect getting insured?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Hellrazer wrote: »
    So heres a question. I also have the 79.03 on mine- does that mean I can start driving a trike on a car licence?

Try and not think of having a car licence. You have a driving licence with various categories on it. You can drive/ride a trike, as you have a full cat A restricted to tricycles.
    How does it work with what the trike is built on chassis wise ie if its a VW chassis is it a car or if its built on a bike chassis is it a bike?

It doesn't matter whether it's bike-derived or car-derived. What matters is the number of wheels and the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A leg injury stopped me doing my IBT a few years back and now Im getting a bit older it looks like Ill need a new knee quite soon so a trike might be the way to go.

How does it affect getting insured?

Yamaha Nikken - sorted :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yamaha Nikken - sorted :)

I know in the UK the Nikken is classed as a motorbike because the distance between the 2 wheels is within a certain range. Do we have the same rule? I presume not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zubair wrote: »
    I know in the UK the Nikken is classed as a motorbike because the distance between the 2 wheels is within a certain range. Do we have the same rule? I presume not.

It's an EU rule, not a UK one.

460mm track width is the magic number: even if it has two wheels at the front, if the track is below 460mm it is legally seen as a 'twinned wheel', not 'two wheel' vehicle, so unfortunately at 410mm the Nikken needs a bike licence either way.

Failing that there is always the Piaggio offerings which are available in both widths.

The LT versions (Light Tricycle) allow you to ride them with a car licence as their track is 465mm.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Old thread but the rules are bullshít.

Whether it has two or three wheels, if it leans the riding techniques are the same and it's a motorcycle and should have an A licence

If it doesn't lean, then it's a car and should have a B licence.

The Reliant car company built a business upon allowing unlicensed drivers to drive a "motorcycle" which in reality was a car and took advantage of the lenient learner motorcycle rules at the time.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement