Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The shameful misuse of the term "second wave"

Options
  • 23-09-2020 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Until this year, a second wave of an illness meant that the illness would have gone away for a season or more and then come back, Now it's been used as sheer gaslighting by the media. How can we be starting a second wave when the first wave never went away ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

In what way does this matter to the public debate around the appropriate policy response?

I think there's some imprecise terminology, but I don't feel like the media are trying to convince me I'm crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It just lessened and is coming back. I'd call that a second wave myself.

Did we even have a first wave?..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It's like a feeding frenzy for the media, they're living off the whole Covid-19 situation by turning it into a soap opera/drama :(

We're still in the 1st wave, never mind the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's like a feeding frenzy for the media, they're living off the whole Covid-19 situation by turning it into a soap opera/drama :(

We're still in the 1st wave, never mind the 2nd.

True.

They are all keeping their highly paid jobs so I'd say most of them never want covid to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

boombang wrote: »
    In what way does this matter to the public debate around the appropriate policy response?
    It clearly doesn't. Someone just wants a good whinge.

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people are disappointed that we didn't have thousands of people dying from covid.

We had a first wave, then a dip (with the relaxation of precautions), and now something that could easily be considered the start of second wave. It's not a perfect description, but what is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Well just be thankful that they didn't put the term "wet" in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Maybe instead of second wave it could be broken into acts from a Shakespearian tragedy, as a matter of interest he wrote Anthony and Cleopatra while isolated during the bubonic plague lockdown.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

We had a first wave, then a dip (with the relaxation of precautions), and now something that could easily be considered the start of second wave. It's not a perfect description, but what is?

That was never the definition of a second wave until recently. Nobody (I hope) ever said that cases wouldn't rise after the economy was reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Second wave of hysteria just in case we ignored the first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

The Spanish flu seems to have went the same way
    There were 3 different waves of illness during the pandemic, starting in March 1918 and subsiding by summer of 1919. The pandemic peaked in the U.S. during the second wave, in the fall of 1918. This highly fatal second wave was responsible for most of the U.S. deaths attributed to the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Check out what Dr Mike Yeadon ex Pfizer has to say today about the second wave.

WAW wrote: »
    Second wave of hysteria just in case we ignored the first...

Better safe than sorry... and I figure the deaths for the ROI being relatively low because precautions were taken.. as opposed to the selfish idiots who take/accept no precautions at all. I do wonder if we could have lowered the death toll even more if people had taken the first wave far more seriously..

As for 'hysteria', the only hysteria I saw were posters on the covid forums. Most Irish took the whole thing in a rather fairly relaxed or dismissive manner.

That was never the definition of a second wave until recently. Nobody (I hope) ever said that cases wouldn't rise after the economy was reopened.

Really? cause my understanding (from the initial reports) was that very definition of waves. first wave, relaxation, second wave, relaxation, etc. Each relaxation being part of a learning process to determine how the virus continued over the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Don Duck

The government & media saying that we are in a "third wave" has really taken the Pee Pee. Eddie Hobbs has said this is what made the penny drop that there is something more sinister going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

Don Duck wrote: »
    The government & media saying that we are in a "third wave" has really taken the Pee Pee. Eddie Hobbs has said this is what made the penny drop that there is something more sinister going on.

Is this the same Eddie Hobbs that tried to conquer the German property market, and lost millions of Euro of gullible investors money?

I’d be taking anything he says with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Snake oil salesman

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol.
    How are Brendan Investments these days?

I'd rather get the opinion of my cat over Hobbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Eddie Hobbs if more full of sh1te than my septic tank.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have a whole forum dedicated to Coronavirus

Alternatively if you wish to discuss any "sinister" aspects of a 3rd wave try the Conspiracy Theories forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement