Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use bike indoors for cheap?

Options
  • 23-09-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I got a bike recently, it's a fairly standard Giant hybrid. Due to changes in the home situation, my ability to go out for cycles is currently essentially nil, so I was looking for ways to get use out of the bike for exercise purposes, instead of it just living in my shed. A quick google has plenty of links to turbo trainers, which range widely in price, and some are excessively expensive.

I don't want a fancy solution, I don't want to use the likes of Zwift or anything like that. I'd just like something I can slot back wheel into a spin when I have time. Is there a decent but cheap option that people can recommend?

Sound!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭devonp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is that quick release only? Not thru axle?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DIY option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

devonp wrote: »

Odd coincidence of timing. Anyone have any experience of this or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

dulpit wrote: »

My wife has a very similar one. She uses it from time. Finds it ok, but can be tough. No real freewheeling etc, but grand if you want to get a cardio workout in.

Personally, I'd sooner eat it than use it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is it hard on the rear tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

loyatemu wrote: »
    is it hard on the rear tyre?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gavlor wrote: »
    Yup

so ideally a dedicated rear wheel (or a whole dedicated bike).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

loyatemu wrote: »
    so ideally a dedicated rear wheel (or a whole dedicated bike).

Ideally you would have a spare wheel with a turbo trainer tyre on it and a casette, just swop the wheels over when you want to use the trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Ideally you would have a spare wheel with a turbo trainer tyre on it and a casette, just swop the wheels over when you want to use the trainer.

agreed. theyre supposed to be bad on the tyres and with the aldi ones probably all you feel is bad friction rather than a feeling like "cycling up a hill". itll probably be used twice and then straight in the bin

if you really want to go down the DIY route you could do a roller trainer with some wood.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Rollers FTW.
    Waaay more entertaining than a turbo, good for your bike handling skills, your core, etc.
    I lose the will to live on a turbo but actually really like rollers.
    You should be able to get a second hand set cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

dulpit wrote: »

To speak up for the lunatic fringe.

I don't mind the turbo.
    I have one like the aldi one and find it grand for a max of 2 uses in the week.

I have a spare bike which sits on it quite a lot.

On a dark rainy evening after work I do a 40min session before dinner.
    GCN have a pile of 30 and 40min sessions on Youtube.

Advertisement