Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's bogus JVC TV

Options
  • 23-09-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I got a gift of a 43" JVC TV from my adult children in April 2019. It was purchased in Curries. I am informed when I tried to get it repaired that it is not a JVC manufacture and Curries purchase these inferior sets in large volume. There are no parts or software for them.
    Has anyone else had this problem. Please advise.
    Pensioner51

Comments

What did Curry’s say?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

It's quite common for the identical tv to be sold under different brand names.
    And JVC are not a quality brand anymore.

That being said Curry's hsould do something, it's barely out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Probably a Vestel. Most low - mid range LCDs from quite a few manufacturers come from there these days. I don't think JVC have existed in their former guise for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I got a gift of a 43" JVC TV from my adult children in April 2019. It was purchased in Curries. I am informed when I tried to get it repaired that it is not a JVC manufacture and Curries purchase these inferior sets in large volume. There are no parts or software for them.
    Pensioner51

Was it Curries that refused to fix it or a third party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Take Curries to the small claims court. A new Tv should last at least 5-6 years and this is a reasonable expectation and E.U. law supports this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭shane b

I am informed when I tried to get it repaired that it is not a JVC manufacture and Curries purchase these inferior sets in large volume. There are no parts or software for them.
    Pensioner51

Who told you this information?
    Its true that a Turkish company called Vestal make budget TVs and market them under the brands JVC,Sharp, Walker and Toshiba to name a few.
    There should be parts and software available as I got my Walker vestal tv repaired before. Covid may be having impact on spares if parts are to come from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Pensioner51

2 year warranty in the EU. Go back to them

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/consumer_rights_in_eu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think you have things mixed up here.

JVC is simply a brand name, under which Vestel makes TV's. Fully, 100% legit - it's not made by JVC directly, but under license.

It's low-end quality, but also low-end price - you get what you pay for, and these sets would have higher failure rates than say, Samsung, LG, or Sony.

If you only bought it in April 2019, as long as you have proof of purchase you would easily win a small claims court action if Curry's refuse to repair it because it's "out of warranty".

Even for a €300 TV, it's not reasonable that it would fail after 16 months.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Video Displays

Advertisement