Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much holidays do I get?

Options
  • 23-09-2020 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

I work 12 hours shifts, 4 one week 3 the next. I follow this pattern all year with maybe an extra 5 shifts worked through covering illness etc.

Last year I took 4 weeks holidays throughout the year but come December my boss pulled me in and said I had another 40 hours of holidays to take. Where did this extra week come from? Do I get extra for shift work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

what does your contract say about holiday days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

You know I'm not sure, I must dig it up and have a look. I'm thinking maybe I'm entitled to 20 days holidays which seeing as I work 3.5 days a week would give me the extra. I should be getting nearly 6 weeks with that calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You're a full time employee so by law you should get a minimum of 4 weeks, but it sounds like you get 5.

Just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭893bet

You get 8 hours per 100 worked.

If one of your weeks off was one of your 3 days weeks you would only use up 36 hrs vs 48hrs if it was a 4 day week you booked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It could also be if your rostered days fall on bank holidays? Some workplaces add these into your annual leave allowance.

There are a lot of possibilities, but the only place you'll get a proper answer is from your workplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Smee_Again wrote: »
    You're a full time employee so by law you should get a minimum of 4 weeks

This is correct. You must get at least 2 weeks.

But you MAY get any amount greater than that.

When you take a week's leave, how many hours do you get paid for?

Advertisement