Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More chance of little green people landing than the council evicting tenants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've worked in the area and can absolutely say you're correct. The last council I worked with on housing data had evicted all of 3 tenants over the previous 15 years. All 3 ended up having to be re-housed by the same council. There are many cushy numbers in public service, the Local Authority workers in the housing departments definitely aren't enjoying them. I know of staff who have to wear stab vests when going out to deal with some council tenants. You couldn't pay me to do it and I definitely wouldn't be doing it for a Clerical Officer's salary!

Sleepy wrote: »
    I know of staff who have to wear stab vests when going out to deal with some council tenants.

Which could be avoided by going hard on them in the first place. Council should be evicting tenants left, right, and centre these days for acting the bollocks. Between covid and the homeless figures, there's no excuse for the councils to be letting anti-social tenants stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Which could be avoided by going hard on them in the first place. Council should be evicting tenants left, right, and centre these days for acting the bollocks. Between covid and the homeless figures, there's no excuse for the councils to be letting anti-social tenants stay put.

The type of people who act the maggot in council estates are never a mark for damages in court. If the council attempt to evict them, they will take judicial review proceedings to the High Court and keep it going to the Supreme Court if they can. The result is the council has to pay a lot of money out in respect of its legal costs. Not surprisingly, the councils don't evict very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/coronavirus-council-tenants-who-have-parties-risk-eviction-1.4360729?mode=amp

Everyone knows this will never happen.The tenants can party all they like and have no fear. This threat is so toothless. I wish it were the case but unfortunately the council are loath to evict.

If they just bulldozed those flats, sold it to a Brickie which would build a BTR for a vulture, removed part V and sent them out the country it would solve all the problems. That and remove free legal aid...if only 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And where would they go? Private sector landlords aren't going to take them.

Councils are housing providers of last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seem to be a lot (a lot!) of homeless charities out there with big pockets. Allow them to rehouse these scrotes and see what happens. If they don't, their Government Grant is reduced year on year. The Councils should be able to outsource ALL housing needs to these entitities right now, since they are building feck all anyway, and are just moving people around on a chessboard.

The bus depot, door ways, behind the big wheelie bin at the local Centra.. Once that happens to a dozen anti-social families, i bet you will notice the rest of them quieten down substantially.

The councils are the most desirable housing providers for the citizens of this country, whether you're a scumbag or a decent hard worker.

I know people deliberately turning down full time work and not doing extra hours to make sure their income stays low, as they're on the housing list. Your "forever home" that you pay a pittance for, and once you get in the door you can never be evicted.

I think you think that people view council housing very differently to how they actually view it. Most people are lining up for it. Especially now that so many council houses are within private estates, there's no embarrassment or anything with living in a 'council estate'. You get the best of the best with none of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Queue people saying you should try live in a council estate, salt of earth etc...

Facts are a lot of the tenants take the piss and know they can't be evicted.
    Any anti-social behaviour should be marked and a 3 strikes your out rule and to the back of the housing list.
    The softly, softly approach hasn't and doesn't work with some tenants.

If the council did evict and put the wasters on the street every Leftie politician would be out screaming about it knowing full well they will never have to put up with it in their own area.

The housing is as close to free as one will ever get in Dublin and yet the council can't collect the money owed, hopefully now with finances tight the Government will cop on and take payment for rent at source for all council tenants.

Did i hear something on the news recently about a tenant that was 12 years in arrears, to the tune of about 45k? (numbers may be off a bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Did i hear something on the news recently about a tenant that was 12 years in arrears, to the tune of about 45k? (numbers may be off a bit)

Correct.

But there is no free houses we're told.

• Advertisement
Advertisement