Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move Gas Meter

Options
  • 22-09-2020 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to get external insulation for the house. As part of this, I understand the external gas meter would have to be moved.

Does anyone know how tricky this could be? Do they just extend the pipe coming up from the ground? Or is there likely to be digging involved in the garden?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Contact Bord Gais Networks. They will send out a surveyor free of charge. The surveyor will discuss with you and give two alternative meter positions. So digging etc would depend on the solution chosen.
    They will also give you a price for both options and a pre-paid envelope for your cheque if you decide to proceed.
    You would also need the services of a RGI for the consumer end of the alteration.

Don’t know if COVID restrictions will affect the survey

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I got this done a couple of years ago for same reason.
    There's basically a flat fee for moving it up to ~10m, and a price per metre after that. Also some regulations as to where you can put the new metre. e.g. It has to be against a wall of a certain height. But as mentioned above the surveyor will go through this with you.

Now the fee... I cant remember exactly what it was but something in me is thinking ~€500 - I'll see can i dig out the letter/invoice.

Re digging - it depends where you're moving it to and where it is coming in. Mine was only moved a couple of metres away from its orig position onto the boundary wall. They dug back a bit and diverted direction of existing pipe. (if that makes sense) So AFAIK they will only dig up what is necessary.

As mentioned - ring them - they were easy enough to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Thanks all. Appreciate it.

Advertisement