Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump bans tik toc and we chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Go tiktok yourself!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

american youth won't be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a strange one, I would have thought at a platform it would be ideal for him to tout his election pledges on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's a strange one, I would have thought at a platform it would be ideal for him to tout his election pledges on.

you clearly haven't seen him dance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No harm. No one seems to care that the Chinese government has blocked the western equivalents and many more sites for years.

Chinese government blocks twitter within China but uses it to spread propaganda outside of China.

Twitter should ban any Chinese government officials (at all levels, including staff in foreign embassies) from the platform.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No harm. No one seems to care that the Chinese government has blocked the western equivalents and many more sites for years.

Chinese government blocks twitter within China but uses it to spread propaganda outside of China.

Twitter should ban any Chinese government officials (at all levels, including staff in foreign embassies) from the platform.

The western world should be more like China?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

They wont be gone for long.
    The US just want a piece of the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Did he ban capital letters too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

godtabh wrote: »
    The western world should be more like China?

Is that what I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If it means I no longer have to listen to all the American **** from that app when me girlfriend is on it all good so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The journal. Ie banned comments on its "far right" boogeyman article.

Bans are normal

Your Face wrote: »
    They wont be gone for long.
    The US just want a piece of the profits.

No, they'll be gone for good. This isn't simply about money.

It's about embedded software within the platforms which allow the CCP to track information, including any discussions ongoing. There have been various reports of US military personnel being caught using such software, which can be seen a breach in security (since apps can interact with each other on a phone). Rarely do people consider what updates to software consist of, merely assuming that they're benign... and considering that user contracts can be changed easily (thanks america), it means that what people allow on their phones can also be altered without the user really knowing much about it.

Secondly, it's also about reducing the Chinese economy, and influence abroad. By targeting Chinese apps, which are huge in China, they get to impact on the economic returns on such investment, while also reducing the influence that Chinese software firms have abroad.

We're likely to see a wide range of bans on Chinese software over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

He banned it because kids on tik tok asked people to get tickets for a trump rally and they did not go.
    you can still use tik tok if you have it installed on your phone.
    it,ll will be removed from the app store on google and apple .
    Just before the election he decides to piss off millions of young voters .
    its the no 1 app for young people under 30.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving to Current Affairs where the local mods can reopen if deemed necessary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread opened. Stick to the topic of the thread ie, Tik Tok only.

This thread is NOT for discussing the election and any such posts will be carded and deleted

Election thread here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099651

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No, they'll be gone for good. This isn't simply about money.

It's about embedded software within the platforms which allow the CCP to track information, including any discussions ongoing. There have been various reports of US military personnel being caught using such software, which can be seen a breach in security (since apps can interact with each other on a phone). Rarely do people consider what updates to software consist of, merely assuming that they're benign... and considering that user contracts can be changed easily (thanks america), it means that what people allow on their phones can also be altered without the user really knowing much about it.

Secondly, it's also about reducing the Chinese economy, and influence abroad. By targeting Chinese apps, which are huge in China, they get to impact on the economic returns on such investment, while also reducing the influence that Chinese software firms have abroad.

We're likely to see a wide range of bans on Chinese software over the next few years.

Practically all software is doing this these days. Not just Chinese software. Google, Microsoft, Apple and others are also tracking everything you type and say and sharing this info with the US government and possibly others.

Google especially is doing some really nefarious crap that I've noticed. Every open mic android device is listening to conversations and using it for targeted marketing and possibly much worse. I and thousands of others have noticed this.

The really nefarious thing I've noticed is having a conversation with a family member about a topic I had not looked up online on my phone or PC at any point. I didn't have my phone on me and I was in their home, not mine. On returning to my own home I was hit with multiple targeted videos about that exact topic on youtube. This wasn't some big trending topic or news story or something I had ever received videos about. It was obscure.

I was being spied on through their phone with voice recognition. They have databases of where you go, who you talk to, your circle of family/friends etc.

This happened on more than 1 occasion. Call it paranoid but I've noticed it many times now. It's not a coincidence.

BloodBath wrote: »
    This happened on more than 1 occasion. Call it paranoid but I've noticed it many times now. It's not a coincidence.

I know. I have had similar vids appear on my Youtube account based off things I looked at, while away from Youtube.

I'm not saying that the US, or that western companies don't track others. They definitely do. However, I merely pointed out the reasons why wechat and tictok would be banned.

The US government and the EU have both been making big pushes to regulate and control the internet. China and it's apps, typically, fall outside of their jurisdictions, so...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

That happens all the time.I could be talking to a family member about anything and next thing is targeted ads appear on facebook etc, about the item under discussion.Given the stage in our lives, the conversations tend to be very specific child-related things, like "Oh I must see if I can get xyz, it might be handy for abc", and within 24 hours there are ads there advertising whatever random thing we were talking about.It is very obvious what is going on.

Practically all software is doing this these days. Not just Chinese software. Google, Microsoft, Apple and others are also tracking everything you type and say and sharing this info with the US government and possibly others.

Google especially is doing some really nefarious crap that I've noticed. Every open mic android device is listening to conversations and using it for targeted marketing and possibly much worse. I and thousands of others have noticed this.

The really nefarious thing I've noticed is having a conversation with a family member about a topic I had not looked up online on my phone or PC at any point. I didn't have my phone on me and I was in their home, not mine. On returning to my own home I was hit with multiple targeted videos about that exact topic on youtube. This wasn't some big trending topic or news story or something I had ever received videos about. It was obscure.

I was being spied on through their phone with voice recognition. They have databases of where you go, who you talk to, your circle of family/friends etc.

We have all signed up to this data collection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No doubt Google are scum like the rest of them but I for one am glad to see tiktok banned. Even if it turns out they weren't using the app for spying it's good that it be banned for being such a pile of utter sh1te

• Advertisement

No doubt Google are scum like the rest of them but I for one am glad to see tiktok banned. Even if it turns out they weren't using the app for spying it's good that it be banned for being such a pile of utter sh1te

It'll be replaced by another app. The only difference will be that it's a western company doing it. Doesn't mean that the app will be any more honest, better moderated, or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

All boils down to who you want spying on you The National Security Agency (NSA)US or Ministry of State Security (MSS) China.

As per Snowden leaks, they have Infiltrated everything and backdoors to anything they want

All boils down to who you want spying on you The National Security Agency (NSA)US or Ministry of State Security (MSS) China.

As per Snowden leaks, they have Infiltrated everything and backdoors to anything they want

I don't think there's much choice involved. They're all going to be doing it regardless of where you are. It's simply the world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If it means I no longer have to listen to all the American **** from that app when me girlfriend is on it all good so!

No no. Your missus is on a different thing. OnlyFans I think it's called.

I hope she washes those vegetables before giving them to you for your dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

We have all signed up to this data collection

I didn't sign up to them collecting data about me through other peoples devices.

They also deny they are using mics to gather data outside of siri/cortana type crap which is a blatant lie.

I'm pretty sure using mics to spy on conversations is illegal regardless of what you signed up for.

I didn't sign up to them collecting data about me through other peoples devices.

They also deny they are using mics to gather data outside of siri/cortana type crap which is a blatant lie.

I'm pretty sure using mics to spy on conversations is illegal regardless of what you signed up for.

Didn't some chap in the states demand to see all of the data Google Alphabet had collected on him and had to take it to court.

Not sure if he won or the outcome

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Spare a thought for the influencers. They might get the PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Wechat should be banned outside china, its just used to evade taxation outside there. There are a few chinese restaurants in dublin with perpetually “broken” card machines that take wechat no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'm still not understanding the value of these apps. I mean I have email, I can send attachments has there been any fundamental functional advancement from this point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

India banned TikTok a month ago, the CA thread on it seems hard to find.

It was part of a general ban on Chinese apps. Well over a hundred are gone.

Advertisement