Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel bike recommendations. Am I mad?

Options
  • 17-09-2020 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I’ve been looking at gravel bikes for a while. I currently ride a hybrid (marketed as a “flat bar road bike” - this thing) which I bought for around town and commuting to work. I think it’s an excellent bike for the price and I’ll be keeping it for around town and probably wet commuting (it’s a short commute).

But since lockdown I’ve stopped using public transport and started cycling everywhere I need to go, and I want to extend that. I don’t own a car. Basically I want a bike that I can take across Ireland if I want to. I’m enamoured with the idea of bike packing /touring along the likes of the Barrow Way, Wild Atlantic Way, or going for spins from Dublin down around the Wicklow Mountains etc. Maybe try some light trails. Eventually take it around Europe.

Basically I want this and the hybrid to cover me for every eventuality for a considerable number of years. I’ve no interest in racing, though.

So I’m thinking of going high end: carbon frame, high end group set (2x I think) capable of rough terrain but also fast on the road, etc. Also something with lots of mounts so I can stick luggage on it and also use it in the winter. I’m looking at the likes of the Trek Checkpoint SL 6, Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon and Orbea Terra M20. Of these, I’m leaning towards the Specialized because of its sheer practicality with storage/mounts, and away from the Orbea for the same reason. The Trek is somewhere in the middle but is the only one currently available. I’m willing to wait though, in fact I probably will wait a few months anyway.

Budget isn’t too big a consideration but am I mad to be spending this much money? Would I be better off with a different type of bike? Any opinions on these three in particular? All opinions valued!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I've was playing with the idea of a do it all gravel-come-road-come bike packing bike for a while. But when it came down to it I just went for a fast road bike as I also realised it's where most of my biking happens. Without going completely mad (a relative concept at best!!) I got a 2.5k ish bike and at the start of next year will get something more suitable for bike packing.

Random thoughts that may or may not be if use or relevant:
    -High end carbon bikes usually have a weight limit of between 115-125kgs. I don't know what weight you are but with luggage you may be close.
    -Mount points didn't seem a big concern as a lot if luggage can attach direct to frame.
    -how much time do you think will be off road Vs touring on road?

Although, damn.. that specialized looks nice!

And genuinely going for the type of different usages you describe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

I have one of these and they are a great all rounder. It has plenty of mount points but reading comments about it I think they are going to add even more on the fork.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes/tempest

This is never going to be super fast on the road but I have done 100km club spins on mine doing 30kph average. Extra fig rolls at the coffee stop for the energy.

Did the 200km Mayo Extreme MTB event at the weekend on it with 42mm tyres and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

kenmm wrote: »
    -High end carbon bikes usually have a weight limit of between 115-125kgs. I don't know what weight you are but with luggage you may be close.
    Good point, thanks. I’d considered this. I’m 65 kg so I should be fine unless I pack the kitchen sink!
    -Mount points didn't seem a big concern as a lot if luggage can attach direct to frame.

True. I guess I already have panniers and am used to them, but it probably doesn’t matter so much. Mount points would come into play when we’re considering mud guards, i.e. a road bike won’t have them, I assume (I’ve never owned a road bike!)
    -how much time do you think will be off road Vs touring on road?

I haven’t a clue. Most of this is currently in my head, which is why I’ve been humming and hawing for months! Mostly road I guess, since I live in Dublin city centre and would have a fair amount of road to actually get to the off road. But I do know any time I’ve gone off road I get the urge to go faster and throw the bike around a bit. I’m a little afraid to do it with the hybrid, and could see myself actually doing more of that if I owned a gravel bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

Also, save some budget for a second set of wheels. One for road tyres and one for gravel with tubeless. Easy to switch around depending on what routes you are planning. I put road tyres on the wheels that the bike came with and I bought an extra set of Hunt wheels for gravel/off road stuff.

• Advertisement

delynet wrote: »
    Also, save some budget for a second set of wheels. One for road tyres and one for gravel with tubeless. Easy to switch around depending on what routes you are planning. I put road tyres on the wheels that the bike came with and I bought an extra set of Hunt wheels for gravel/off road stuff.

Yeah I’m thinking of that too. It gets very expensive alright.

I hadn’t thought about a titanium model. Always seemed very niche. I’ll investigate that one you have, thanks. I’d like something a little faster than that on the road, I can do that on my current hybrid. Though admittedly I’ve no idea if I’d average that over 100km. I must add a bike computer to the shopping list too. Damn...

Breezer wrote: »
    )

I haven’t a clue. Most of this is currently in my head, which is why I’ve been humming and hawing for months!

Ye this was my exact position, in the end I went road bike, slightly racier geometry while I figure out my tour of dreams and what bike!

But COVID did get in the middle of this after cycling all winter on the old bike, the COVID, then the whole world wanting a bike I finally got it delivered a few days ago.. just in time for winter :pac: (and now with clip on mudguard because feck it..!)

I have nothing more to add, but I'll be watching to see what you go for!!

kenmm wrote: »
    Ye this was my exact position, in the end I went road bike, slightly racier geometry while I figure out my tour of dreams and what bike!

But COVID did get in the middle of this after cycling all winter on the old bike, the COVID, then the whole world wanting a bike I finally got it delivered a few days ago.. just in time for winter :pac: (and now with clip on mudguard because feck it..!)

I have nothing more to add, but I'll be watching to see what you go for!!

I really like the look of the Specialized. Which is unavailable anywhere, it seems. So you could be waiting. I’ll post back here when it happens though!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

If you’re looking for someone to tell you you must be mad spending that much on a nice bike you have come to the wrong forum.

Zen0 wrote: »
    If you’re looking for someone to tell you you must be mad spending that much on a nice bike you have come to the wrong forum.

I’m more looking to be egged on. With some sort of guiding hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great bikes. Get yourself a second set of wheels with road tyres on it and you've two bikes in one.

I had a carbon cross bike for two years with road tyres on it and it was one of the best road bikes I've ever had. Comfy and sturdy but still pin sharp and decently light. Absolutely loved it.
    I would definitely be looking at the canyon Inflite though. Saw one parked up in Laragh last week and loved it.

canyon-inflite-cf-sl-disc-8-team_c1291-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I have a diverge and it meets your criteria set out above, though you might want to check about the mounts. I bought mine in 2018 and I remember a perception in some reviews that it could have had more mounts. I'm not sure how many mounts you need with bike bags these days, you certainly don't need them for credit card touring.

Otherwise it meets your criteria. I've taken it on the ticknock trails and various canal ways. I also prefer it on many road cycles as it's just more comfortable and has better gearing for hills than my road bike. But road bike it ain't, and some days you're in the mood for a stiff fast road bike and you can't get that fix from a spongey gravel bike. It's also harder on group spins if you don't want to hold others back.

However road cycling doesn't seem to high up your priorities so maybe that doesn't matter. If it did I'd suggest something lighter and faster with clearance for slightly bigger tyres than a standard road bike to get you off road.

I think you should ride as many of these bikes as you can and just buy the one your most comfortable on. Don't get fixated on a particular brand or the marketing hype. Just find something you're happy sitting on and buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I just got the Diverge Expert and love it, has loads of mounts but found the 1X gearing wasn't enough for me on steeper trails so put on a double chainset this week. Using it for commuting and plan to do some bike packing hence the requirement for more gears. Once fully loaded I would have struggled with 1X. Depends what you plan to ride. The SWAT box is one of the best features as can fit spares, pump plus gilet, snacks in it, have one on my mountain bike too so never need a bag. Using gravel tyres all round as happy to use them on the road. Did 160km/week commuting on gravel tyres for 2 years without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Before going for the Al Topstone, I weighed up the Carbon options. There actually wasn't that much in the weight iirc, and I decided with my (lack of) off road skills I'd steer clear of carbon. I couldn't stretch for PlanetX Tempest, or the Ribble Ti CGR (or steel).

fwiw, if pushed, I'd have no problem with the Topstone as a road bike, with the right tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I'll throw a left field option out there if you're going to splash the cash - how about a Kona Sutra Ltd?

Steel frame do anything bike - put slicks on it and it's a decent road option, plenty of mounting points for touring and you could bring it down MTB trails if you like as well.

https://konaworld.com/sutra_ltd.cfm

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/logans-kona-sutra-ltd/

https://www.cyclingabout.com/2020-kona-sutra-touring-and-sutra-ltd-bikepacking-bikes/

Why do I read these threads.. I just want to buy all the bikes!

nak wrote: »
    I just got the Diverge Expert and love it, has loads of mounts but found the 1X gearing wasn't enough for me on steeper trails so put on a double chainset this week. Using it for commuting and plan to do some bike packing hence the requirement for more gears. Once fully loaded I would have struggled with 1X. Depends what you plan to ride. The SWAT box is one of the best features as can fit spares, pump plus gilet, snacks in it, have one on my mountain bike too so never need a bag. Using gravel tyres all round as happy to use them on the road. Did 160km/week commuting on gravel tyres for 2 years without issue.

Op you're unlikely to get a better answer than that!

I'll throw a left field option out there if you're going to splash the cash - how about a Kona Sutra Ltd?

Steel frame do anything bike - put slicks on it and it's a decent road option, plenty of mounting points for touring and you could bring it down MTB trails if you like as well.

https://konaworld.com/sutra_ltd.cfm

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/logans-kona-sutra-ltd/

https://www.cyclingabout.com/2020-kona-sutra-touring-and-sutra-ltd-bikepacking-bikes/

I've ridden this and it's bomb proof. If I had to choose a bike to ride through siberia during a nuclear war, I'd be there, but I'm not sure it'd be as good as other more gravel or endurance leaning bikes for short fun frolics, singletrack etc and it's probably a good deal heavier, that would probably have it's advantages in terms of carrying capacity and bomb proofness but may be slightly less fun?

Ah **** it he wants to spend money - just get both

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Breezer wrote: »
    I really like the look of the Specialized. Which is unavailable anywhere, it seems. So you could be waiting. I’ll post back here when it happens though!
    I have one brought it in is a super bike worth waiting for certainly holds its own on gravel no slouch on road either.
    Looks cool too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Merlin look to have good value on gravel bikes at the moment - anyone with any experience of their own brand bikes? I think I heard somewhere they are made by another bigger brand.

I'm looking for a gravel bike to give it a try - getting very popular around me but nothing at all in the nearly new / second hand market at the moment and I'm hesitating buying another 2k bike (have three road bikes).

Wonder will second hand sites be full of these in 6 months...

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g2x-grx-gravel-bike-2021-197443.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Orro

Merlin look to have good value on gravel bikes at the moment - anyone with any experience of their own brand bikes? I think I heard somewhere they are made by another bigger brand.

I'm looking for a gravel bike to give it a try - getting very popular around me but nothing at all in the nearly new / second hand market at the moment and I'm hesitating buying another 2k bike (have three road bikes).

Wow that seems to be very good value for that spec

I'm strongly considering this if I don't find something second hand - would anyone recommend anything different in that general price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I see a few of the 2021 Topstones trickling into stock now, was looking at the Topstone 1 & 2 as my local bike shop has them in, nice bikes - might go with the Topstone 1 myself.

https://www.360cycles.ie/cannondale-topstone-1-700-slate-gray.html

https://www.360cycles.ie/cannondale-topstone-2-700-rainbow-trou.html

I have a strong sense that the hype will not be matched by the usage. But you never know. I'm just not sure how well set up Ireland is for gravel stuff, or how nice the routes tend to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

a148pro wrote: »
    I have a strong sense that the hype will not be matched by the usage. But you never know. I'm just not sure how well set up Ireland is for gravel stuff, or how nice the routes tend to be.

Gravel bikers work perfectly well on the road, particularly if you are not overly concerned about speed etc., but just want to get out and cycle

Ah yeah, they're a good all rounder, I often pick mine over the road bike as it's more comfortable and has better gearing, and you can nip off and explore. I wonder what percentage of their use is actually gravel or off road.

I think it's the cyclist who goes on a regular group road spin who might suffer a bit getting dropped and wouldn't want to take it out as much as a result. Wouldn't matter at all to a solo cyclist. And I'm not sure how much dedicated gravel spinning goes on or how easy it is for most people to get on a gravel spin, given the road is right outside their front door? I think I've only once really seen someone else out on a gravel spin, and they looked like they were just tearing along on a cyclocross bike.

Did I hear specialized organize a dedicated gravel spin out of their shop at weekends?

I've a few road bikes and 90% of my non commuting or spinning around mileage this year has been in group rides so I'm not keen on a gravel bike which I'd also like to do the job of a road bike.

Tbh that is why I'm trying to find something cheap - the equivalent of the almost unused B2W bikes you can sometimes pick up for half of the shop price. I don't live in Ireland but see a lot of gravel trails around me.

I'm also considering if it is better to wait until next spring as I don't know how much of a winter sport gravel riding is? Surely all that gravel just becomes pure mud?

Well the gravel certainly doesn't, the forest fire roads are grand year round. The barrow way might degrade in winter, the canal ways which are either grit or get very little cycle traffic are probably still ok.

To be honest for me gravel type spins are more of a winter thing, on a hot day I want to be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'd agree on the winter thing, a large part of the reason I bought a CX bike is so I can go offroad that time of the year when you often have bad light, low sun, fog and slippy conditions, an hour on the Curragh, the canal bank or bog roads will do just as well as an hour on the roads.

I bought a secondhand CX bike back in June because I couldn't find a "proper" gravel bike of the spec I wanted in my price range, I don't think that has improved much since, if anything 2X grx seems to be gone out of stock everywhere. My plan now is to keep the CX for a year or two then buy something reasonably hi spec and hold onto it for a good while. I'm having a nice set of wheels built for it to fit with road tyres so it'll do as my winter bike, I'd hope to be able to keep up in a normal club group spin that isn't too hilly once the mudguard rule comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

a148pro wrote: »
    Did I hear specialized organize a dedicated gravel spin out of their shop at weekends?

Yes on Saturdays but on hold due to Covid-19 restrictions.

Advertisement