Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to Drywall over a wooden tongue and groove ceiling for fire safety

Options
  • 16-09-2020 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Im doing a reno on a 1970s house with tonge and groove ceiling boards in the sitting room. Im dry lining the house next week and wondering if I should sheet over these boards as well to prevent a fire risk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Can you not remove the old T and G ceiling?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LocoLogo wrote: »
    Im doing a reno on a 1970s house with tonge and groove ceiling boards in the sitting room. Im dry lining the house next week and wondering if I should sheet over these boards as well to prevent a fire risk?

What’s the fire risk?
    Spread between separate units?

You can fire proof from above using different products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The trouble with T and G is is that it can be draughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Is there plasterboard above the T&G boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LocoLogo

No its attached straight to the floor joist. There is a bedroom above

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    What’s the fire risk?
    Spread between separate units?

You can fire proof from above using different products.

I wasnt sure if there is any new regulations that require you to drywall over top?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LocoLogo wrote: »
    I wasnt sure if there is any new regulations that require you to drywall over top?

Your not explaining the set up properly.
    What are you fire stopping?
    It sounds like you are trying to stop fire spread from below to upstairs.
    Is this an apartment complex? Single house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I think the OP is saying that they have a two storey house and there's a tongue and groove ceiling in the downstairs living room above which there's a bedroom.

I'm not aware of any rule that says the ceiling "has" to be slabbed in a two storey house* OP - it is different for a three storey house though!

* There is a recent communiqué by building control authorities regarding open web joists in two storey house ceilings which is somewhat strange in my opinion - and based on their interpretation of that area I wouldn't bet against some weirdness around T and G if they decided to cast their attention in that direction! Another poster on here may correct me!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No way would I live in a bedroom over an untreated t + g board ceiling. Fire risk, while hard to ascertain, is not acceptable

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No way would I live in a bedroom over an untreated t + g board ceiling. Fire risk, while hard to ascertain, is not acceptable

I dont see where you are coming from at all. Are you basing that on data or just prejudice against wood?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I dont see where you are coming from at all. Are you basing that on data or just prejudice against wood?

What do you mean by prejudice in this context?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Christmas tree fire would eat that timber and the room above it in less than a few minutes. You could be taking 90 seconds depending on conditions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

70’s house : possibly lead paint in the t&g

Is that prejudice enough?

Also see part b 2.3

BryanF wrote: »
    70’s house : possibly lead paint in the t&g

Is that prejudice enough?

Also see part b 2.3

Lead paint is permitted in some situations. As far I know it is not volatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Honestly quicker to rip down T&G and re-slab. I’d be more worried with what type of fire detection system you are considering. Early detection is key. FDAS Grade D LD2

A traditional lath and plaster is more airtight, soundproof and fire safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dobloman

A traditional lath and plaster is more airtight, soundproof and fire safe.

Two layers 12mm fireline plasterboard fixed up to it and either tape and joint it or skim it will give you a good fire rating.

listermint wrote: »
    Christmas tree fire would eat that timber and the room above it in less than a few minutes. You could be taking 90 seconds depending on conditions.

Thanks, that is reason enough to drywall over top of it

Advertisement