Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best grass seed for hay

Options
  • 16-09-2020 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

What is the best seed for making hay.i was hoping to stitch in seed into one of main fields that I cut every year and I'm hoping to cut hay next year out of it.id imagine there is seed out there that would be more suited to hay as with our weather grasses that's easier to save is what's needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭endainoz

pat73 wrote: »
    What is the best seed for making hay.i was hoping to stitch in seed into one of main fields that I cut every year and I'm hoping to cut hay next year out of it.id imagine there is seed out there that would be more suited to hay as with our weather grasses that's easier to save is what's needed.

If you steer clear of the main Rygrass types of seed you'll do grand I'd say. While good for silage, they aren't as well suited for hay. Older grasses like timothy would suit better. A good crowd to talk to about it would be western seeds. They are based in the UK and will ship to Ireland, also great at giving advice on how to apply the seed and how to manage it. They sell both organic and conventional seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

pat73 wrote: »

Most companies would sell hay traditional meadow mixes, maybe try look up seedsdirect, DLF, or even Germinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

endainoz wrote: »
    If you steer clear of the main Rygrass types of seed you'll do grand I'd say. While good for silage, they aren't as well suited for hay. Older grasses like timothy would suit better. A good crowd to talk to about it would be western seeds. They are based in the UK and will ship to Ireland, also great at giving advice on how to apply the seed and how to manage it. They sell both organic and conventional seeds.

Yes a standing type grass

Advertisement