Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from Dell Studio 1555 - Any recommendations

Options
  • 16-09-2020 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭

Ok

Have the Dell Studio 155 and its served me well but its time for an upgrade to a lighter laptop

Was looking at the Magic Book 14 but not sure if I can justify the price but like the look of it

Use if for work so lots of word, excel etc and also internet and email and like recommendations that is fast and wasy to update

Does not have to come with Windows can install this myself.

Not sure what the budget is close to €400 maybe or is it just worth going with the machbook 14 or wait a bit to see any new models

No rush for it but will need it next few months as Miss Gunner working more from home

Cheers

Comments

The overall build quality, lightness, IPS screen, good cooling design make the matebook d / magicbook well worth it really. It's a false economy going for a cheaper model imo as it 'won't last as long or run as well.

£550 for 14 inch size with bigger battery and backlit keyboard

£500 for 15 inch

amazon uk or hihonor or box.co.uk

was cheaper but probably running out of stock on the current model (new more expensive one coming out @ £670) so would not assume that prices will go down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i would wait until the better amd 4000 laptops come to Ireland and intel bring out it's 11 series as the 10 could not compete.with newer ryzen
    the honor has the nuch slower amd 3500 cpu
    they have new one out in China but it's 800 and most laptops can beat that price.nvidia is brining out faster gpu video cards to kill off amd gpu so expect gaming laptops to drop in price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

glasso wrote: »
    The overall build quality, lightness, IPS screen, good cooling design make the matebook d / magicbook well worth it really. It's a false economy going for a cheaper model imo as it 'won't last as long or run as well.

£550 for 14 inch size with bigger battery and backlit keyboard

£500 for 15 inch

amazon uk or hihonor or box.co.uk

was cheaper but probably running out of stock on the current model (new more expensive one coming out @ £670) so would not assume that prices will go down

Yeah missed out on the bargain price for it earlier just see how things and finances go

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    i would wait until the better amd 4000 laptops come to Ireland and intel bring out it's 11 series as the 10 could not compete.with newer ryzen
    the honor has the nuch slower amd 3500 cpu
    they have new one out in China but it's 800 and most laptops can beat that price.nvidia is brining out faster gpu video cards to kill off amd gpu so expect gaming laptops to drop in price

Any idea as to when that will be and would price be on par with current offers if not more

Ok never got round to updating but going to look again

However with Brexit, Thank you Bozo, prices on Amazon,hihonor or box.co.uk gone up

Any other sites to look at or other suggestions

Thanks

• Advertisement

matebook d 15 with upgraded 6-core 4500u in pcworld . 699

glasso wrote: »
    matebook d 15 with upgraded 6-core 4500u in pcworld . 699

Wow I should have bought before this Brexit kicked in:mad:

My desktop did not cost as much but hindsight a great thing

Any other suggestions maybe a bit cheaper as dont have a budget yet just researching and see what I can afford

Cheers

that is not so far off the uk price of £590 sterling after conversion and higher Irish VAT so it's not a bad deal

other options mostly have plastic build, lesser cpus and non-ips screens

there a hp i5 for 600 in pcworld also but the matebook would be worth the extra

if you're getting a laptop for 5/6 years or more worth getting a decent one

price now back to 779 on that matebook 4500u

Advertisement