Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICBF 5 star heifer sales

Options
  • 16-09-2020 11:33am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know some people are getting texts about these, but as the deadline looms I thought it would be worth having a thread on this so that as many ppl as possible can get across the line.

One bit of advice I've heard from a potential buyer is keep 5 star heifers separate in the lots, don't mix up the 5 star heifers with lower starred heifers in the one lot. If you have only one 5 star heifer to sell then put her in as a single.

Tullamore has a 5 star sale on Mon 21st Sept. Add a few more in your local area and prices would be good too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

There’s one on in Ballyjamesduff mart on Marteye at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

The Salers society are running one on Saturday October 17th in Gort too
    https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/irish-salers-cattle-society-heifer-sale/25619105

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I've a few heifers...........9 month plus......3/4 bred red limousin and PBR limousin...they are 5*...do these qualify. I was contemplating putting them on DD.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I've a few heifers...........9 month plus......3/4 bred red limousin and PBR limousin...they are 5*...do these qualify. I was contemplating putting them on DD.

Are they genotyped 4/5 star on the maternal index and over 16 months old on October 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Omallep2

blue5000 wrote: »
    I know some people are getting texts about these, but as the deadline looms I thought it would be worth having a thread on this so that as many ppl as possible can get across the line.

One bit of advice I've heard from a potential buyer is keep 5 star heifers separate in the lots, don't mix up the 5 star heifers with lower starred heifers in the one lot. If you have only one 5 star heifer to sell then put her in as a single.

Tullamore has a 5 star sale on Mon 21st Sept. Add a few more in your local area and prices would be good too.

Hi,
    I sold heifers recently and prices for 4/5 were good.i had a nice LM heifer 14 months 495kg €1470

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

tanko wrote: »
    There’s one on in Ballyjamesduff mart on Marteye at the moment.

Were prices any higher than a normal heifer sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Are they genotyped 4/5 star on the maternal index and over 16 months old on October 31st?

Genotyped but will not be 16 months old by the 31st:mad::mad:

K9 wrote: »

I don’t know but I doubt if they would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

K9 wrote: »

Sold two 5 star heifers in ennis today, both 415 kgs, 890 & 920, disappointed, sold a 1star Last Saturday same weight for 940

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

T boners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Thought the sale in Ennis wasn't dear today some average enough heifers there too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

jfh wrote: »
    Sold two 5 star heifers in ennis today, both 415 kgs, 890 & 920, disappointed, sold a 1star Last Saturday same weight for 940

You’d think there’d have to be a panic from lads at this stage. We’re past the last date you can genotype.
    I bought four heifers earlier in the summer that showed up as five stars but I still had to genotype them after that. How is that being watched in the marts?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I bought one today off a neighbour. He Let young lad have his pick and then they did a deal. 5 star. Nice animal

Green&Red wrote: »
    You’d think there’d have to be a panic from lads at this stage. We’re past the last date you can genotype.
    I bought four heifers earlier in the summer that showed up as five stars but I still had to genotype them after that. How is that being watched in the marts?

The whole thing is a joke in the marts.
    I was watching a heifer sale the other day, a farmer was selling heifers which were showing up as five star on the ICBF board but weren’t genotyped so no good for the scheme.
    But the farmer was telling the auctioneer that that were definitely five star, the auctioneer announced them as five star anyway even though the board said no.
    It’s amazing that six years into the scheme there is so much confusion about the star system.
    A cow/heifer only qualifies for the scheme if she’s genotyped 4/5 stars.
    Most auctioneers don’t seem to have a clue and don’t care either.

The whole thing is a joke in the marts.
    I was watching a heifer sale the other day, a farmer was selling heifers which were showing up as five star on the ICBF board but weren’t genotyped so no good for the scheme.
    But the farmer was telling the auctioneer that that were definitely five star, the auctioneer announced them as five star anyway even though the board said no.
    It’s amazing that six years into the scheme there is so much confusion about the star system.
    A cow/heifer only qualifies for the scheme if she’s genotyped 4/5 stars.
    Most auctioneers don’t seem to have a clue and don’t care either.

Theres going to be war over that kinda stuff, fella goes home next week thinking he's hit his quota and doesn't find out until after November 1st when he gets a letter telling him about his 140% penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Would you not be better off buying one that has the white tag, then you know she's tested

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It says on the board at marts if genomically tested or not.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

whelan2 wrote: »
    Would you not be better off buying one that has the white tag, then you know she's tested

Tested but not necessarily 4 or 5 star...

It says on the board at marts if genomically tested or not.

I don’t think it does Patsy, I think it just says it’s stars. Just because they’re up there doesn’t mean they’re tested

I don’t think it does Patsy, I think it just says it’s stars. Just because they’re up there doesn’t mean they’re tested

On most mart boards there’s a box beside the Eurostar value which says BDGP Yes or No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

In ennis it says if they are genomic tested or not.

In ennis it says if they are genomic tested or not.

But that doesn't mean they are 4 or 5 star which is needed for scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Only breeds I can think of that would almost have a guarantee of being 4 or 5 star across breeds without being genotyped would be Salers and maybe Aubracs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Jb1989 wrote: »
    But that doesn't mean they are 4 or 5 star which is needed for scheme.

Its says if they are 4 or 5 star and their eurostar value and there is a display on the board that says yes or no if they are genotyped aswell.

Its says if they are 4 or 5 star and their eurostar value and there is a display on the board that says yes or no if they are genotyped aswell.

OK, our local board is bit behind the times then

Advertisement