Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do a PLc or repeat the LC one last time?

Options
  • 16-09-2020 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,
    I’m a 24 year old guy. I’m in a situation where I’m stuck between choosing either the leaving cert or a plc course. I want to pursue Electrical Engineering next year for third level.
    So, which one should I go for? I heard that with a LC, I have a higher probability of getting in to the course of my choice since there are more places than the PLc route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Contact the admissions office of the colleges you are interested in and see if they have an entry system for mature students - you will be a mature student:

https://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=mature

They might be in the best position to advise your better options are for the next twelve months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

First Congrats on making the big step.
    My first question is how are the Maths?
    That will be one of the first questions they ask at interview stage and the subject you are probably going to have the most difficulty with at on campus.
    You need to be hitting a B+ at ordinary level and doing higher would give you a great base for starting at University.

If the Maths are not up to standard. Consider repeating the Leaving at the local ETB. I was very very much against the idea as I got a bad deal from the vocational school system before but my local one had excellent teachers ex-industry in Pharma and Engineering for Maths Bio Chem and Physics.

If your maths are excellent then try a PLC. Turn up at university for engineering with substandard maths and you will be killed with the work load. Also learn there is maths support. Go to them on Monday thru Wednesday. Thursday and Friday is when the lazy kids turn up only trying to get their weekly assignments in on the last minute.

Talk to people not just tutors also ex students who were successful. About half who turn up for the repeat LC at adult level are either not commited or have unreal expectations.

Advertisement