Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lame cow

Options
  • 15-09-2020 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I have a cow with a swollen leg just above the hoof.Very lame on it.She is been milked once a day for the present.We are bathing her leg during milking in salty water.Keeping her in the paddock near the parlor.I went to the vets surgery to pick up a bottle of Noroclav for her but was given a bottle of Synulox instead.Is Synulox any good for this....or would I be better off returning the bottle and getting a bottle of Noroclav instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

You need to lift her foot and get it pared, probably an abscess/infection in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Synulox is the same as noroclav

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

A shot of an anti inflamitory would do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could be anything causing it lift the leg and have a look or call a hoof parer in if you aren't used to it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭edward901

We pared her hoof last week.The hoof tissue was rather soft.Didnt go too hard on her.We trimmed the hoof as well as removing some of the soft tissue.Will I continue to bathe the hoof and give her a course of the Synulox?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If you're willing to do keep bathing. My preference would be a couple of handfuls of Epsom salts in a half bucket of warm water and see could you train her to stand her foot in it for 10-15 minutes twice a day. Could be fun... a lot depends on the cows co-operation.

You may need a longer course than one bottles worth. Don't stop too soon. If no benefit after the first bottle, get back to your vet. He may change the antibiotic.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

edward901 wrote: »
    We pared her hoof last week.The hoof tissue was rather soft.Didnt go too hard on her.We trimmed the hoof as well as removing some of the soft tissue.Will I continue to bathe the hoof and give her a course of the Synulox?

Any infection or foreign objects? Did ya check up between the claws?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭edward901

Using ordinary table salt....bought in Supermarket.The cow not that cooperative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

greysides wrote: »
    If you're willing to do keep bathing. My preference would be a couple of handfuls of Epsom salts in a half bucket of warm water and see could you train her to stand her foot in it for 10-15 minutes twice a day. Could be fun... a lot depends on the cows co-operation.

You may need a longer course than one bottles worth. Don't stop too soon. If no benefit after the first bottle, get back to your vet. He may change the antibiotic.

I always use a mix of bluestone & salt, is there much (if any) benefit to me using bluestone on lame cattle along with the salt wash? Was just told by Dad so never questioned it.
    There was some other injection we used to get for lame cows, had a really long withdrawal, began with T I think??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I always use a mix of bluestone & salt, is there much (if any) benefit to me using bluestone on lame cattle along with the salt wash? Was just told by Dad so never questioned it.
    There was some other injection we used to get for lame cows, had a really long withdrawal, began with T I think??

Bluestone probably increases the draw out of fluid. The long withdrawal antibiotic might be a tetracycline one. Or Tylosin.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Use bluestone and Epsom salts here always. If not easy to apply regularly, make up a paste with some cooking oil and bandage up. Take off bandage ever second or third day for an hour or two and reapply.

Cured a valuable ram, that the junior stockperson wanted to cull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Get a trained professional to look at her either a vet or a trained hoof parer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Get a trained professional to look at her either a vet or a trained hoof parer

+1 to this.

She might benefit from a false hoof/sole on one or both sides of the claw to relieve pressure especially if she's tending to rock back on the heel in.a bid to avoid putting weight on a problem area.

The parer should be better able to see if there's any infection that needs removing especially if they have the tip over handling crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

If the paring didn’t get to the source of the problem, antibiotics and bathing the foot in all sorts of concoctions won’t cure the problem imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

If she was paired recently she might be tender on the feet for a few days after.

Advertisement