Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census of Agriculture

Options
  • 15-09-2020 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

The census is due by Thursday. Anyone have any news about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

JoeCasey wrote: »
    The census is due by Thursday. Anyone have any news about this?

It arrived in the post last week...filled it up and sent it back.

Its surely just a snapshot and not every farm will be surveyed.

Its badly put together, and impossible to answer questions accurately. Cant see the data being collected being of any credible use..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

alps wrote: »
    It arrived in the post last week...filled it up and sent it back.

Its surely just a snapshot and not every farm will be surveyed.

Its badly put together, and impossible to answer questions accurately. Cant see the data being collected being of any credible use..

I work in data analytics off-farm and I thought the same thing - poorly put together and hard to see how anything accurate could be gleaned from it.

As the saying goes, “Garbage in, garbage out”.

And since all BPS is done online now, surely there could be an option to complete the census online and make the data collection more efficient?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭893bet

Is it manadory if you got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

893bet wrote: »

If you dont fill it in they keep sending reminders. You can write a note on it that you dont want to do it anymore afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭hopeso

whelan2 wrote: »
    If you dont fill it in they keep sending reminders. You can write a note on it that you dont want to do it anymore afaik

I used to get them regularly years ago, and then they stopped. This current one was the first one I got for ages.... If they keep coming again, I think I'll try that note......

• Advertisement

hopeso wrote: »
    I used to get them regularly years ago, and then they stopped. This current one was the first one I got for ages.... If they keep coming again, I think I'll try that note......

Me too.

A polite note :D

whelan2 wrote: »
    A polite note :D

I'll practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭crossman47

Maybe a small bit of civic responsibility and fill it out as best you can (i'm sure best estimates will do).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭orm0nd

it's no big deal, only take a few minutes to fill

reading posts on facebook giving out about it , and the same individuals spend more time posting sh1te on social media that would fill out 10 forms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

893bet wrote: »

Yes.
    If you get the form and do not return it filled in you will be breaking the law.

That said, it is a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭893bet

Will do it so. Tis easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Filled it out, more paperwork so much for everything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

Hi all.
    I thought the form was total sh1te also.
    Why d paper copy and post ?
    I could have done faster on agfood or icbf.
    Seems like another way to have some very important people employed in a handy job in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Yes.
    If you get the form and do not return it filled in you will be breaking the law.

Took me 5 minutes to fill it in. Don’t really understand what the issue is with doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Got it, put it some place saying ya I'll fill that when I've a bit of time, read this and realised I have no idea where I put it and for the life of me cannot find it....... 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

orm0nd wrote: »
    it's no big deal, only take a few minutes to fill

reading posts on facebook giving out about it , and the same individuals spend more time posting sh1te on social media that would fill out 10 forms

I found the commentary on that site, nearly a bit upsetting..

Vile hatred and disdain towards people and ioften our ndustry is mind boggling..

You don't have like someone or agree on anything....but the hsit on it is deplorable..

Got it, put it some place saying ya I'll fill that when I've a bit of time, read this and realised I have no idea where I put it and for the life of me cannot find it....... ��

You'll probably get sent another one if you haven't returned it the lo call number on the form is 1890924990

Vile hatred and disdain towards people and ioften our ndustry is mind boggling..

You don't have like someone or agree on anything....but the hsit on it is deplorable..

I filled it in there in about 3 minutes. I think it used to be about 8 or 12 pages long. So people probably dont realise it's shortened now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is it a only land owner that get one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭endainoz

I got out of all those facebook groups as the negative whinging would really bring a person down. Also best ignored is any mainstream news article about farming, it's always followed by vile comments. It's good for the health to steer clear of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is it a only land owner that get one?

No. Former land and farm owners from 10 years ago get them too.

endainoz wrote: »
    I got out of all those facebook groups as the negative whinging would really bring a person down. Also best ignored is any mainstream news article about farming, it's always followed by vile comments. It's good for the health to steer clear of these!

Surely a slash of burnt oil and a thump of a holly bush would cure it :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Surely a slash of burnt oil and a thump of a holly bush would cure it :cool:

It cures everything else according to that Facebook group :)

You'd feel sorry for anyone who asks a question in that group. They nearly always get grunts as replies: "don't do it", "no money in milk/beef/lamb", etc.

Some difference between that and the genuine replies you get on here

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

You'd feel sorry for anyone who asks a question in that group. They nearly always get grunts as replies: "don't do it", "no money in milk/beef/lamb", etc.

This is the bit that get's me, if you suggest any other way than the way it's ever been done you get hassle about that too. I've decided lads are lazy in thinking. They'll work themselves into hospital physically but they don't want to work the brain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭endainoz

This is the bit that get's me, if you suggest any other way than the way it's ever been done you get hassle about that too. I've decided lads are lazy in thinking. They'll work themselves into hospital physically but they don't want to work the brain at all.

Absolutely, these are the types of people that share articles in capital letters making some sensationalist statement.

It's a lot easier to ask questions here I find, granted you'd still have the few that are stuck in their ways and might certainly disagree with you, but it's mostly done in a civil manner.

Another thing that really gets to me from these groups is the terrible grammer and punctuation, hurts my eyes to look through some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Yes.

Always chucked them in the bin. Didn’t get arrested yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Jaysus lads, what FB groups are ye in?

I must admit, I only recently joined one or two groups on FB - I never used it much before... I don’t see much controversial on the ones I’m on... I’m obviously on the wrong ones :):)

I must admit, I only recently joined one or two groups on FB - I never used it much before... I don’t see much controversial on the ones I’m on... I’m obviously on the wrong ones :):)

I posted something on one last week and it was deleted as it wasn't what they wanted to hear. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's because you're in the Cork Mammy's buy and sell groups.:pac:

Advertisement