Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Took me a bit of Googling, but eventually found out it's mainly story based 2D side scrolling, but with some RTS mech battles. Looks really interesting, and I like the style, but doesn't sound like my kind of game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What is it about niche Japanese game and having titles that sound like they were generated by a random word generator?

Can take or leave Vanillaware (liked Muramasa, hated Dragon’s Crown) but this one looks intriguing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Took me a bit of Googling, but eventually found out it's mainly story based 2D side scrolling, but with some RTS mech battles. Looks really interesting, and I like the style, but doesn't sound like my kind of game.

I'm still not sure what type of game it is. Apparently it's a RTS with visual novel type sequences in between. Vanillaware have done RTS before with GrimGrimoire and strategy with Grand Knights History.

I just keep hearing the sci-fi story is incredible in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll keep an eye on it. Not usually a fan of RTS, but as you said, the story is supposed to be very good and that could tempt me at some stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll keep an eye on it. Not usually a fan of RTS, but as you said, the story is supposed to be very good and that could tempt me at some stage.

The rts elements aren't meant to be StarCraft so rts noobs should be fine. Or just people who are awful at them like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

It's a visual novel with very minor RTS segments, it's entirely about the story, do not go in expecting gameplay to be much of a factor.

It's a mecha anime story about 13 characters whose stories all intertwine, quite complex storytelling but well done. Feels similar to anime like Bokurano with a bit of Daiguard

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sieghardt wrote: »
    It's a visual novel with very minor RTS segments, it's entirely about the story, do not go in expecting gameplay to be much of a factor.

It's a mecha anime story about 13 characters whose stories all intertwine, quite complex storytelling but well done. Feels similar to anime like Bokurano with a bit of Daiguard

So basically if you're hoping for a odin's sphere or Muramasa: The Demon Blade, it's not them?

So basically if you're hoping for a odin's sphere or Muramasa: The Demon Blade, it's not them?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Very much not, only similarities to Odin sphere are the side scrolling locations and the multiple characters and scenarios. This game has even less gameplay than Sakura Wars.

Finally got around to starting this last night. Didn't get much time to play it as the mammy decided to ring me at the title screen to tell me about people I didn't know but apparently I did know that had died or got engaged.

Was a bit apprehensive about it as it seems heavily story focused and a bit visual novel like but so far I like the approach to the story sections, there's enough interactivity to make it interesting. The japanese VO is excellent and it looks gorgeous. Presentation is fantastic as well. Also loving the Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack.

Still very early in the game and nothing making much sense yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Started it over the weekend. Mostly looks great, but Vanillaware have a particularly unique ability to farcically undermine their own storytelling and visual style by having female characters look so absolutely preposterous and laughable every time they appear on screen :pac:

Started it over the weekend. Mostly looks great, but Vanillaware have a particularly unique ability to farcically undermine their own storytelling and visual style by having female characters look so absolutely preposterous and laughable every time they appear on screen :pac:

I actually thought they were all well proportioned.... for 10 minutes.

Then normal George Kamitani service resumed once I had to visit the nurses office.

I'm not as put off by it as most people but that nurse is going to have awful back problems if she doesn't already.

I was really worried that I wouldn't like this game. I was really apprehensive when I heard it was a visual novel more so than a game as visual novels just aren't for me.

However I'm having an absolute blast with it. Sure it's a a barely interactive visual novel that is mostly just story but there's just enough interactivity to make it really compelling. Dialogue and chapters are short enough to not drag on and it's always interesting to see what happens next and try and piece together the story as it constantly drops hints about what is really going on.

Coming to the end of this game now. Was up late last night and was finishing off some of the protagonist storylines.

I'll leave my full thoughts for when I finish it but I can safely say that 13 Sentinels is an incredible game. It really surprised me just how good it is. It's a wonderful piece of hard sci-fi that's excellently written. It's a feat to have 13 interconnected storylines happening in parallel and to manage to not be easy enough to follow but also to be so compelling. It's amazing it all comes together. Each 10 minute segment feels like an episode of a sci fi drama and the way its presented and the interactivity it gives the player never makes it feel like a wall of text visual novel. It's one of those stories that uses the medium of videogames in a way that it couldn't be could in the same way outside of videogames.

If you are a fan of sci-fi I think you owe it to yourself to play this game. Its incredible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PC port eventually? Would love to play it, as it looks really interesting.

Kiith wrote: »
    PC port eventually? Would love to play it, as it looks really interesting.

I can't say it will get a pc port. Would do well on pc. But it's a very small japanese company and they love their custom targeted game engines. However it is atlus and sega published and they have said they will be bringing their japanese stuff to pc.

Vanillaware have moved on to a new project so they probabyl couldn't support a thrift party port much but of their engine is good or used a third party one it might be an easy enough port.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PS4 games work on the PS5, right? Will be picking one of those up at some point, so will play it then.

Kiith wrote: »
    PS4 games work on the PS5, right? Will be picking one of those up at some point, so will play it then.

Yep, all set then. If you enjoy a good piece of sci fi you'll love it.

The crapiness of the strategy stuff really is a downer: the way it’s segmented off in its own menu category even kinda underlines it as something of an afterthought.

I’m not far enough into it to tell whether its convoluted anime nonsense comes together story wise... but convoluted anime nonsense it certainly is :pac:

The strategy stuff I don't find too bad. The battles are really short and I do enjoy them. They are a bit too easy but you get a real challenge if you bump it up to intense. And if you really hate it drop it to casual. There's no penalty either way.

I think it's the sound design that sells the battle sequences for me. The visuals are abstract but there's a real meatiness to the explosions and the battle music tracks are a highlight of an already incredible soundtrack. Lysine in particular is aural heaven.

As for the story, it does come together and makes sense. It might seem all disconnected but one of the big strengths of the writing is that when it starts coming together it's not confusing or convoluted. It's certainly not a story were convolution is a substitute for actual depth.

Also it never goes full evangelion. It all connects up and makes sense in a very satisfying way. Although I think you'd probably appreciate a bit of more evangelion existential mind ****ery going by your tastes!

• Advertisement

Ended up finishing it last night. Got the Platinum, my first ever and wasn't even going for it. So it's an easy Platinum if you actually care about those things.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Two of the final battles were amazing, so much stuff on screen it was melting the PS4 which dropped to single digit frame rates at points during attacks!

I'd highly recommend this game to anyone. There's nothing quite like it and probably will never be another game like it. The closest it comes to something else is probably a Telltale game but I found the setting, characters and plot far more engaging than any telltale game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

There is a game called Gunparade March that's quite similar to but it never received a release outside of Japan and the combat reminded me a lot of the Front Mission games.

It was the first platinum I got in a long time as well as nothing can really be missed except for the food trophy but you can always replay any individual story.

Xenji wrote: »
    There is a game called Gunparade March that's quite similar to but it never received a release outside of Japan and the combat reminded me a lot of the Front Mission games.

I've read that the developers name checked this game as the major influence for the battle system. No fan translation of it yet either. I actually really like the visuals. I think Vanillaware might have gotten a bit of help from Atlus as well as their UI interface is so slick and reminds me of the Atlus UI since they made it an artform with Persona 3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »

It was the first platinum I got in a long time as well as nothing can really be missed except for the food trophy but you can always replay any individual story.

Is there multiple endings though?

Is there multiple endings though?

Nope. Just the one ending. There's not even multiple paths or if there are there's there's not a lot and make very little difference, there's a chart as well to track where you are in a plot thread. Basically you cant really miss out on anything.

On sale on the store for 30 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm currently playing this and absolutely loving it. I'm probably an average of about 50% progress on the various characters, while I've barely scratched the surface of the RTS side with only a few battles done post-tutorial. I've nothing against the RTS section but I just can't stop playing the story mode. The bitesize chapters are incredibly compelling, everything is so well written and the story has had so many twists and turns so far, you never know when a big revelation is going to suddenly turn everything on its head. There are so many strands that you pull at from the perspective of different characters that you can play in any order, it's like putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle of a story where you just can't wait to find more pieces and try to figure out how they fit together.

I agree with one of the previous posters that some of the female characters are cringeworthy, which is a shame because on the whole the artwork is utterly stunning. As is the sound and music. It's such a slick game, and so completely and utterly unique, I'd recommend it to anyone to check out.

It really is compelling. The story really keeps your interest throughout and the way it's all in nice bite sized chunks means it never feels like a slog or it's wasting your time. One of the best games of last year and may have been my favourite game of last year and it's a shame it's both stuck on PS4 and that it's not been the success it deserves to have been.

Advertisement