Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small piece of land with Private property

Options
  • 14-09-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Ive seen a few house for sale that have a field or two connected to them,
    In two cases it appears to have been used for horses and in another it was a farm for cattle.

As the sales are as private dwellings, Im wondering about potential costs, benefits and downsides.
    1. Are there taxes associated with small parcels of land/fields, for particular use, private?
    2. Costs associated with keeping cleared, i.e cutting are there average costs of getting someone to cut/ acre, and how many times might I expect to need to do this annually?
    3. Or is there any benefit of letting out for keeping animals on? ie return or is it potentially a lot of hassle.
    4. Any benefits/grants to turn a small field into a deciduous Grove, regarding forestry grants and then potentially not felling.
    5. Small tractor cost/large ride on mower cost. I saw a thread recently about the cost and I think the scarcity of small tractors.
    6. Invasive plants/plants to keep down, cant recal off the top of my head the yellow flowering Irish type that is harmful to Horses and possibly sheep, is that manageable, I understood it was simply a matter to pull up the root, but possbily worse, other invasive species like Japanese knowtweed,
    7. Insurance for small plots of land?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A lot of rural houses esp farm houses would have a field attached. There is a client base that auctioneers will say are interested in this. For some it's more notions than anything put into practice afterwards. In time it might allow for planning for a family member.
    Two main options are, rent out to a local farmer. See a local cottage and the neighbouring farmer puts his calves there each year. Others might take a cut of silage or hay.
    The alt is the house owner makes some use of it. Very handy if a family member wants a horse.
    There are now robot mowers which could keep the grass lawn in trim if you want it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Water John wrote: »
    A lot of rural houses esp farm houses would have a field attached. There is a client base that auctioneers will say are interested in this. For some it's more notions than anything put into practice afterwards. In time it might allow for planning for a family member.
    Two main options are, rent out to a local farmer. See a local cottage and the neighbouring farmer puts his calves there each year. Others might take a cut of silage or hay.
    The alt is the house owner makes some use of it. Very handy if a family member wants a horse.
    There are now robot mowers which could keep the grass lawn in trim if you want it that way.

Thanks for your reply, Id hoped for some more replies, in particular the tax aspect. I drove past the property and despite the impression given from google maps and the sales images and blurb, the area, while reasonable in size is significantly less than I expected,looks like it would be manageable with a ride on mower, but if it were flatter,one area looks very clumpy,with a good few yellow flowering small growths/shrubs over one area which looks untended, look like they'd be easily uprooted but could do with being kept better or some attention from being scraped flat or rolled, not sure if thats what a harrow is for but it would be a quick job with a tractor and some appropriate w
    equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Basically it’s treated like a large garden.

You could tame it with a mower and have lawn, you could plant a small coppice of trees for firewood and fruit or whatever takes your fancy, you could have a pony or horse of that’s your gig.

But I can’t see how there would be tax implications.

It sounds like a tractor and power box could scrub out those bushes. Then maybe a run over with a mulching mower behind a tractor would get it into order.

Pal of mine bought a house in the country with 10 acres during the last downturn.
    He rents out some of the fields to a local farmer for grazing sheep, very little money involved, has planted another field with apple trees, and another with trees to supply his wood burning stoves.
    He reckoned, it wasn't worth the hassle to look for the grant.
    No tax implications on the purchase as far as I know,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

One reason behind the land being sold with the house is the septic tank and well for the house being in those pieces of land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Stamp duty is 6% on land above 1 acre, bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There is no land tax or wealth tax levied on land.
    There is a minimum acreage for deciduous planting, grant wise.
    1 acre will attract no Grant's.
    You are of course free to plant your own grove of broad leaf trees, and indeed an orchard of apple trees and a few plum trees will grow into something very nice in a few years.
    A guy with a track excavator would get rid of any whin bushes and grade it off nicely, less than €1000 would do a lot of work .

Advertisement