Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance and Working

Options
  • 14-09-2020 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I'm doing the Professional Masters in Education and doing an unpaid school placement. However, the principal wants me to fill for teachers here and there if it's required. Also do some yard supervision while I'm on the grounds. For that, she tells me I would get paid.
    It's not a job with the school as such, I'm just called upon whenever I'm required. The principal says I would not become an employee or anything. But she says that any time I work will be calculated up and they'll give me cheque at the end of the work placement semester (December). It may only be something like a half an hour every couple of weeks or whatever. Not contracted work.

My question is, how would this impact my BTEA? You see, I won't be paid every week by the School, and I don't even know when I'd be working. It's a kind of situation where I'll be on the grounds of the school doing my unpaid teaching practice, and the principal might ask me to go and supervise the yard for 10 mins, for which I will be paid in a few months time.

Can anyone advise? I rang the social welfare but they kind of fobbed me off. Just said something about being means tested. But when I told them my specific situation they seemed bored and like it was too much trouble to look into it for me.

Advertisement