Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long am I entitled to Illness benifit and can I get it twice?

Options
  • 14-09-2020 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading.

I was in full time employment with one company from March 2014 to September 2019 when I was made redundant after returning from maternity leave (Jan to July paid by employer mat leave).I was was taking two days parental leave from July to Sep so only in work three days a week but was due to stop that but then they made me redundant.

I applied for the Jobseekers payment which I was in receipt of until February 2020 when I became mentally ill so I am now in receipt of Illness benifit 203 pw & I send in certs monthly. How long am I entitled to this payment would anyone know?

I filled out a form I was sent about two months ago that the SW sent me asking me to detail my illness and when I last worked etc and sent that back, I'm not sure why they sent it to me.

Also and sorry for all the questions if I try and go back to work this year or next year but I get mentally ill again will I get the illness benifit again or can you only get it once?

Eventually I imagine I'll reach a stage where I will try to go back but I'll still be on medication and I'm worried basically about having a breakdown if it's all too much and ending up ill again but having nothing to pay towards mortgage, bills etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi there,

I was in a similar situation to yourself. I went on IB for a year then got a temporary job in the DSP. When that finished I just went on jobseekers. I spent the next number of years doing courses with solas and a year on the CE scheme. Eventually I tried to get on the program to help people with illnesses and disabilities find work and the case officer advised me to apply for DA. I should have done it years earlier. It really is the most flexible payment and DA together with part time work sounds like it would suit you best. You can earn €120 a week with no effect on your payment and between €120 and €350 reduces your payment by 50% of that amount minus €120. It is a means tested payment and I am working two voluntary positions at present but looking for paid employment. I just have not yet found an ideal position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rara9002

Thank you for replying Cherry Blossom. Sounds like you have worked really hard, well done. I wonder could I get disability allowance, my husband works full time and I think that sometimes that means you don't get certain payments cause his wage is over a certain amount.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yes, His wage would be in included in the means test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rara9002

Cheery Blossom thanks. sorry I meant to ask do you know how long IB lasts for? Someone told me two years but I wasn't sure why I got that form checking my status after just five months.

Two years is the maximum but I think it depends on how many prsi contributions you have. I’m not sure how it’s calculated so your probably best ringing them to see how long you have left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement