Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cows kept in a closed mart??

Options
  • 13-09-2020 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I've just passed my local Mart, which is locked up, but I can hear cows in one of the sheds/buildings. Seems a bit odd to me. Should there be cattle in a closed mart?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭893bet

I've just passed my local Mart, which is locked up, but I can hear cows in one of the sheds/buildings. Seems a bit odd to me. Should there be cattle in a closed mart?

Perhaps sold subject to seller and he said no and is waiting to collect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

There's a myriad of reasons why there could be cattle on the mart premises outside of sale day's. They could be waiting to be collected by the buyer/seller, being held for clearance to export, be left in overnight for a sale the following morning ect. There'd usually be different stock lying about a mart at all times due to to some of the aforementioned reasons. Any marts I frequent have a dedicated lairage where stock have access to water and fodder for the duration of there stay. It's no different to being in a shed on a farm, it's not like they've been forgotten over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 donotvalidate

There's a myriad of reasons why there could be cattle on the mart premises outside of sale day's. They could be waiting to be collected by the buyer/seller, being held for clearance to export, be left in overnight for a sale the following morning ect. There'd usually be different stock lying about a mart at all times due to to some of the aforementioned reasons. Any marts I frequent have a dedicated lairage where stock have access to water and fodder for the duration of there stay. It's no different to being in a shed on a farm, it's not like they've been forgotten over the weekend.

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thank you :)

Advertisement