Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get in the mind set of doing what suits you, not what suits the company

Options
  • 13-09-2020 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

I work for a small tech company in Dublin. During the summer because of COVID, I was told that I had to sign onto 3 month rolling contracts, or be let go. I took this offer as it was a job, and I didn't want to go job hunting during the pandemic.

However, I'm not enjoying the company and I would like a change. I also want a pay rise, but pay is frozen due to covid, so I would like to look around.

I feel guilty looking around, even though it's in my best interests. I don't know why I feel like this as the company had no issue putting me on 3 month contracts when it was it in their best interests.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭thefa

Feel like you’ve answered your own question.

There’s a chance that the passivity may work out if things do go south and the rolling contracts were to continue while demand dried out in the market. Not sure I would be banking on it given the company’s reaction to Covid already, especially if I was already unhappy with the company/pay/terms and so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I work for a small tech company in Dublin. During the summer because of COVID, I was told that I had to sign onto 3 month rolling contracts, or be let go. I took this offer as it was a job, and I didn't want to go job hunting during the pandemic.

However, I'm not enjoying the company and I would like a change. I also want a pay rise, but pay is frozen due to covid, so I would like to look around.

I feel guilty looking around, even though it's in my best interests. I don't know why I feel like this as the company had no issue putting me on 3 month contracts when it was it in their best interests.

Why do you feel guilty looking around ? They were not feeling guilty when telling you that you had to sign onto 3 month rolling contracts, or be let go.

The only loyalty companies have is towards balance sheets, their own interests, no loyalty exists where their employees are concerned.

Look around and if you find something that suits you, grab it with both hands and consign them to history, where it sounds like they belong, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Continue being a good employee and do your work during work hours.

Anything outside of that is your time, so go ahead and look for jobs.

Just separate work and personal life. Don't mix both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

My company didn't pull any such shenanigans and were quite good to work for in general, but I still didn't feel a smidge of guilt at interviewing for and accepting an offer that came with a ~30% pay rise (more like 66% counting all the bonuses and RSUs) and better benefits. You have to look out for your own interests first, because your employer will be looking out for theirs, not yours; it's just business. Be a decent employee and give your employer a fair day's work as long as you're there, but if an opportunity comes along, don't hesitate over some misguided sense of loyalty to your current employer, and if your current employer starts dicking you around, then get out there and find something better. As you've seen, they won't hesitate to drop you in a heartbeat if they think it'll improve their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Correct Denny, give a fair days work for a fair days pay and treatment.

If you want to move, give them fair notice, fair days work until you leave, simply fair treatment works both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I was told that I had to sign onto 3 month rolling contracts, or be let go. I took this offer as it was a job

Some might argue that this is/was a form of constructive dismissal. How long were you in the compay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Some might argue that this is/was a form of constructive dismissal. How long were you in the compay ?

50 weeks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Don't feel bad about looking around. It isn't wrong to say that you can't rely on the rolling contracts to always be renewed, or you want something more stable. Especially if it is rocky there after a year. If you enjoyed the work, the pay and atmosphere was good, then it would be understandable. Otherwise don't feel bad about it. They're not going to spend an extra penny on you while all this is going on, not while you're a contractor.
    Focus on getting out of there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Mortgage Question

You've been indoctrinated since a child to put other people first, by teachers and parents. Put yourself first, routinely ask yourself the question, how does this benefit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Stay in the job as long as it suits you, leave when it suits you, subject to notice period.

If you can’t get anything better then stay. If you can get something better then leave when the contract is signed, again subject to notice period.

• Advertisement
Advertisement