Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Massive jump in points for Dentistry/Dental Science?

Options
  • 12-09-2020 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

I'm a prospective student from the north looking to do Dentistry next year. The points have been pretty consistent for the best part of a decade, usually around 575-590. Last year both Dentistry/Dental Science at UCC and TCD were 590.

This year they've both spiked to 613?

613 out of a possible 625? That's insane. Any reason for this? Is this just a one off freak score because of Covid this year? Or is this likely the new norm? I actuary as a back up and that's 601 at UCD also.

I do 4 A levels and the points equivalency (including the bonus points for Maths) works out as:

4A's = 531
    1A* 3A = 560
    2A* 2A = 589
    3A* 1A = 618
    4A*'s = 625

So this years points doesn't change things much for me as I needed 3A*'s 1A last year and 3A*'s 1A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Are you familiar with the fact that predicted grades were used in Ireland this year for the Leaving Cert, so grades went up and as a result points went up. Nobody knows how next year will go yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

The average salary for a Dentist is €35,675 per year in Ireland. Salary estimates are based on 12 salaries submitted anonymously to Indeed by Dentist employees, users, and collected from past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Supply and demand. There are only two dentistry courses in the country, Trinity and Cork. If demand goes up then points go up. Many students who apply for medicine often have dentistry down on the CAO as well as they see them in the same stable of qualifications and careers.

If any other college offered a dentistry course in the morning, or if the two existing ones increased the numbers of places they had then points would drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Are you familiar with the fact that predicted grades were used in Ireland this year for the Leaving Cert, so grades went up and as a result points went up. Nobody knows how next year will go yet.

Yes it was the same in the UK too but AFAIK it didn't result in grade any significant grade inflation. Points for UK courses look broadly similar for next year as they were for this year.

600 points for an Actuary course in UCD would be the equivalent of 3A*'s and 1A which I don't think is the requirement for any actuary course in the UK.

Yes it was the same in the UK too but AFAIK it didn't result in grade any significant grade inflation. Points for UK courses look broadly similar for next year as they were for this year.

600 points for an Actuary course in UCD would be the equivalent of 3A*'s and 1A which I don't think is the requirement for any actuary course in the UK.

Ireland is not the UK. There is only one actuary course in Ireland, and it has always had sky high points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Ireland is not the UK. There is only one actuary course in Ireland, and it has always had sky high points.

Actuarial Mathematics is a course at DCU and Financial Mathematics and Actuarial Science is offered at UCC.

Both were 520 and 531 last year, this year they are 560 and 566 respectively.

Actuary at UCD went from 577 to 601. They're significant jumps. Obviously we don't know the effects of Covid on this years education but will be a worrying trend if a significant number of courses continue to trend towards 600.

Advertisement