Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace crack

Options
  • 12-09-2020 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I noticed last week a crack in the fireplace. Is this something I should worry about? Can it still be used?

I saw online I can get cement from woodies but just want to make sure its a viable fix. Any help is very much appreciated

Edit image uploaded, sorry didnt realised it failed due to file size

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Hi all

I noticed last week a crack in the fireplace. Is this something I should worry about? Can it still be used?

I saw online I can get cement from woodies but just want to make sure its a viable fix. Any help is very much appreciated

Pics would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Sorry image uploded now

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Sorry image uploded now
    That's your fireback and there is no need to worry

Vestiapx wrote: »
    That's your fireback and there is no need to worry

Thanks Vestiapx. Appreciate the fast reply too.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

I have the same problem, but my crack is a bit bigger. I bought the fireplace cement but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

• Advertisement

I have the same problem, but my crack is a bit bigger. I bought the fireplace cement but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Haven't go around to getting that cement. I assume it's ok to light the fire the way it is?

That's so weird that you posted that cos I had put it off til today and planned to do it later this evening. I was reading the instructions last night and it says to heat it afterwards at 100 degrees for 4 hours and then a higher heat. So I'm planning to do it at 5pm today and light a small fire to try and seal it and then at around 9pm, I'll make the fire bigger. This is the stuff I bought- it's like putty inside. I'll take photos later if you want.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/324125320075

That's so weird that you posted that cos I had put it off til today and planned to do it later this evening. I was reading the instructions last night and it says to heat it afterwards at 100 degrees for 4 hours and then a higher heat. So I'm planning to do it at 5pm today and light a small fire to try and seal it and then at around 9pm, I'll make the fire bigger. This is the stuff I bought- it's like putty inside. I'll take photos later if you want.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/324125320075
    That would be great thanks. I need to go grab this stuff but herself in the meantime wants to light the fire. I'm assuming it's ok to do so?

Yeah, you should be fine to light the fire. My crack is much bigger than yours and I've been living in the house for the past year, I've probably lit over a hundred fires and it was fine. But today's the day I'm gonna try to fix it! Feeling motivated :)

Yeah, you should be fine to light the fire. My crack is much bigger than yours and I've been living in the house for the past year, I've probably lit over a hundred fires and it was fine. But today's the day I'm gonna try to fix it! Feeling motivated :)

Got Fire cement tube myself in Woodies. I had planned on doing it now but must wait 48 hours before lighting. I've just got back home and she has lit the fire already 😂

• Advertisement

Got Fire cement tube myself in Woodies. I had planned on doing it now but must wait 48 hours before lighting. I've just got back home and she has lit the fire already 😂

This one

Advertisement