Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Netflix Documentary: The Social Dilemma

Options
  • 10-09-2020 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hadn't seen a thread on this and have just finished the documentary and found it very good in explaining how social media apps are designed to be as addictive as possible and how much of a negative impact these sites are having on individuals and society as a whole.

I've deleted my social media accounts one by one over the last 2 years and have found that it's a bit shocking how many of my friends fall for fake news or share without giving it a moments thought as to if it's real or not.

Anyway I thought the documentary was very good, would like to hear thoughts from others who may have seen it.

Trailer:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Good documentary well explained. a little one sided but most documentaries are but I agree with all the warnings and how powerful the few companies have become. I don't have any social media accounts but this doc would definitely make me think twice about getting involved with any of old apps or new ones that come along - as users we give away so much with very little in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How much of the documentary involves dramatisation? The whole thing seems all a little dated to me, to the extent that when I saw this pop up in a few places recently I immediately thought I watched this around 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

S.M.B. wrote: »
    How much of the documentary involves dramatisation? The whole thing seems all a little dated to me, to the extent that when I saw this pop up in a few places recently I immediately thought I watched this around 2 years ago.

A good chunk of it, which does get a bit grating but ... the interviews with some of the founders of current social media tech are interesting. The guy who invented the like button, the guy behind Google drive etc, their take on how SM has evolved into a completely different beast than they had envisioned

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

I enjoyed it, but felt the dramatisation was unnecessary. Ridiculous casting of a 25 year old actor as high school lead.
    Interesting how many of the tech experts interviewed forbid their children from using social networks.
    I only use Twitter which I’ve now deleted.
    Throughly recommend watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

As someone who works in tech I found the second half of it very interesting, how it can be used to divide people - something that is happening right now

If everyone is entitled to their own facts, there really is no need for compromise

That for me was the most powerful quote of the whole documentary. And scary too. This is happening everywhere now, just look how divided America is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

How does it work if someone blocks ads and never tags anyone on fb and ignores friend suggestions etc ? How are they responding?
    I think the dramatised parts are really rubbish. I am no defende of of and certainly do not get 'news ' there and anyone who does gets all they deserve.But fb put a response which said they only put one side in the documentary and that netflix does the same as fb does

Advertisement